S11 Off-Board Terrain

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
S11 has as SRR to "Treat all off-board terrain as if it exists".

Could someone shed some light on the implication of that SRR? Can the Germans in theory move around the playing area "off-board"?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Per rule 3.3 units can move offboard:
"...They may not perform any action while offboard except move during the MPh per normal Open Ground movement costs..."

Normally all those offboard hexes are "Open Ground" - but this SSR tells us to treate as the actual terrain in those hexes....

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Any idea how to handle this in VASL?

What is the offboard terrain of wY-1 what about wZ-1. Roads extend offboard so wY0 is likely road, but after that in what shape am I supposed to play the road. How does it exist? Does wood extend offboard? I do understand the concept, I try to find it in the rules. Any pointers?

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any idea how to handle this in VASL?
I think the simplest is just to not crop board w.

What is the offboard terrain of wY-1 what about wZ-1. Roads extend offboard so wY0 is likely road, but after that in what shape am I supposed to play the road. How does it exist? Does wood extend offboard? I do understand the concept, I try to find it in the rules. Any pointers?
I don't think it matters what those hexes are. The Germans must enter on TUrn 1 along the north edge -- that is, hexrow U of board w. They can't "move offboard" and enter the playing area (U-GG on board w, and A-E on board x) through the east, south, or west sides. I think the SSR is to make the offboard road exist, so the German units can enter U6 by crossing a road hexside and get the one MF bonus.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Keep in mind these are Starter Kit scenarios and much rule detail is left off or left to the player(s) to interpret to the best of their ability (usually to no great detriment to the scenario play). If looking for a more detailed approach to the rules your better bet would be to move on to full blown ASL or if you have the ASL rule set attempt to implement those rules into ASLSK. That is what the Starter Kits were intended for, not to present one with a totally different game system on its own.