S? placement for VotG SASL campaign game

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

I am setting up a VotG SASL campaign using the rules downloaded from MMP. I am playing campaign game IV 'Savage streets of Stalingrad' and I have some initial questions on the S? placement. I am playing as the Germans (Friendly) against the Russians (Enemy).

The setup instructs the Russians S? counters as following 4.1a and 4.1d and that VPO's for 4.1d consist of two hexes (F36 and F46) so based on this I have done the following:

1. All single location hexes as detailed receive a s? following a roll-on table A9e (built up map S? placement) meaning 3 or 11 results in no S? for that hex and any other result leads to the placement of a s? in that hex.
  2. All Multi location hexes roll on table A9e to determine which locations receive a S?
  3. The two VPO hexes and all concealment terrain within two hexes receive a S? in each location.
The questions are:

a) Am I correct in rolling on A9e for the placements in 1) & 2)?
b) should I also roll on A9e for placement 3)?
c) As the VPO's and the concealment terrain within 2 hexes may already contain S/ placed by 1) & 2) do they get addition S? in the location for condition 3) or only if 1)/2) did NOT place a S? in the location. (This could result in multiple s? in each location of certain hexes or the placement of S? in hexes that failed to get one in steps 1) & 2).

Thanks for your help

Regards

Simon

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For 4.1a: All stone hexes in SASL VotG are VPO locations (S20.4, modification to 14.1 VPO), so every single-location stone and rubble should get a S?. You would roll on A9e for the other non-stone locations, and at least one S? must be placed in a multi-location stone hex as per the S4.12 EXC, using the A9e table for location.

For 4.1d only F36 and F46 count as VPO locations, so you would roll on A9e for each of those hexes (including the two adjacent hexes), with at least one location having a S? if stone construction.

In practice that means every hex of the Railway station will have 2S?, and every hex within two of said buildings may have (must if stone) one or two S?...means a lot of S? are placed

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
OK thanks for the response - I am still very unsure of what S? placement is correct. I have re-read the rules sections following your very useful comments but still not entirely sure. I am also confused as to your indication that all VPO's (stone buildings get another s?) as this only applies to S4.1 case c which is not specified in the setup for the VotG SALS campaign scenario rules. Can anyone confirm my assumptions below:

1. Only S4.1 case a & d are used the VotG S? placement and not the other cases?
  2. For case a only - the amended A9e table supplied with the VotG SASL rules should be applied to the S? setup with the results of none or locations that do not exist in the hex resulting in no s? in the location.
  3. for case d only F36 & F46 are considered VPO's NOT every stone building on the board as per VotG 14.1 SASL rule amendments.
  4. for case d only - a dr>= 3 result in placement of the s? and >= 4 results in no placement in that location.
  5. For case d table A9e is still used as well.
Going forward on subsequent campaign days the setup only uses S4.1 case and NOT case d as per VOTG SASL amended rules section 4.1

Just want to get this correct before I commit the large amount of time to this project

Reagrds
Simon

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am also confused as to your indication that all VPO's (stone buildings get another s?) as this only applies to S4.1 case c which is not specified in the setup for the VotG SALS campaign scenario rules.
The EXC to S4.1a (EXC: 4.11-.13) points you to S4.12, which states that, regarding placement on Built-Up map boards, [EXC: if such a hex is a VPO reroll until >/= to one S? is placed]. Since as per the SASL VotG rules, every stone hex building/rubble location is a VPO, every hex of that construction must have at least one S?.

Re your questions:
  1. correct
  2. correct, but see my point above about VPO on a built-up map board; means every stone rubble gets a S?, as does every stone building getting at least 1 S?
  3. correct
  4. correct
  5. correct

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
FYI, keeping some stats from playthroughs of this CG IV, I recorded the following S? setup:
14D German assault)
Hold S? = 322
Reserve S? = 193

14N (Russian counter-attack)
Hold S? = 76
Advance S? = 70

15N (German assault)
Hold S? = 294
Reserve S? = 187