S? Activation question

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
My first mission with advance attitude ENEMY in winter camo and I've run into a question. S? activate when a move would normally cause loss of concealment (S3.32a). Infantry units that only move to an accessible location are assumed to be using assault movement (S6.221) and S? are generally treated like infantry units until activated. The complication arises from E3.712 which states that infantry with winter camo assault/advance moving don't lose concealment.

So does this mean that (1) a S? moving in the open activates in the second hex it enters b/c that's the movement that "switches" it from assault to normal movement? Or does it (2) activate in the 1st hex it enters b/c it would trigger normal movement by exiting that hex?

I'm inclined to go with option 2 for a couple of less than fully convincing reasons, but I'm hoping someone can point to a clarifying rule reference that I'm overlooking.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NRBH; what does the rule book say about the higher Alph-numeral rule taking precedent?

I agree that if the unit is only moving the one hex its AM and no concealment loss. If non-AM then loss of concealment in the first hex.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately I'm not sure the precedence clause helps since it doesn't appear to be a clear issue of two rules in conflict so much as an event that's not obviously addressed by a rule.

In regular ASL it would be clear cut since AM is announced before movement begins. In SASL it's the movement itself that determines AM or not. hmmm, now I've talked myself into option #1...