Rybka Disqualified and Banned!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ouch!

Rybka disqualified and banned from World Computer Chess Championships

The International Computer Games Association (ICGA) has disqualified and banned Rybka and its programmer Vasik Rajlich from previous and future World Computer Chess Championships. The ICGA accuses Rajlich of plagiarizing two other programs, Crafty and Fruit, and demands that he returns the trophies and prize money of the World Computer Chess Championships in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Wow. Late call. I hadnt even heard a whisper of this happening, or any investigations.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Same here. When I first read the article, I thought it was some type of joke. But no, it is real.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This has been in the cards for some time. Obviously there was GPLed code in there. That would be OK if the GPL license restrictions had been followed but they weren't. This has been reported mostly in the geek scene that is concerned about open source licenses and not so much with chess people.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Obviously there was GPLed code in there. That would be OK if the GPL license restrictions had been followed but they weren't. This has been reported mostly in the geek scene that is concerned about open source licenses and not so much with chess people.
I cant stop laughing, i suddenly feel so much less geeky!

(Redwolf: Go Bruins!?)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ban remains:

Rybka Ban Reaffirmed by ICGA

"...when Vasik Rajlich submitted his entry applications for the World Computer Chess Championships in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 he failed in his duty to include the name of Fabien Letouzey, the programmer of Fruit, in his authorship statements. The correct procedure would have been to obtain Letouzey’s permission to use the Fruit derived code and to name Letouzey within the authorship statement, thereby advising the ICGA of the provenance of the derived code. Sadly Rajlich did neither"

"These are the bare facts of the case and are, I believe, beyond dispute. It was upon these facts that the ICGA based its decisions regarding Rajlich being stripped of the World Championship titles awarded to Rybka and being banned for life from ICGA events".

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Educate me. Was this leaving out of a name deliberate or an over site?

Regardless, how serious is the crime of the missing name? Is Fabien upset his name was not used? Or is the "chess world" duped because the real author wasnt known?

Given Rajlich was banned for life, i can only assume the mistake was considered major.