Ruth! Ruth! Ruth! We March! - Feld Marshal Arnhem vs. General dannybou

Arnhem

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
Salutations all, forum and PBEM newbie reporting!

Joined up over the weekend and dannybou was kind enough to be my opponent for a Bulge (16_02s, default rules, explicit supply off) game, will be using this thread to give my perspective of our game as we move along, hopefully danny will have some time to give his side of the story too.

16_02s was chosen because no matter how you cut it the Germans are going to have their behinds handed to them by endgame, what more if the opponent is a wily human. Hopefully the 2 additional Pz Divs and earlier release of key units already on map will make life for Danny's GIs a little uncomfortable before they return the favour when the snow thaws and his Jabos return.

December 16, 1944, 0600hrs (Turn 1)

Orders from OKW have come down, the Meuse! We shall cleave the Allies in 2 and force them to sue for peace. The forces we have so carefully husbanded and kept from the prying eyes of Allied recon are finally in place. The Ardennes, from where we erupted just 4 years ago to tear the French line asunder will once again be the setting for the Fatherland's greatest victory yet. The Allies have in their arrogance strung out a mere corps over 100 miles heavily forested terrain in the false belief that no major action could occur over such inhospitable terrain, we shall make them see the folly of their ways!

The weather and terrain are conspiring against our movement west, while some infantry managed to cross the Our river prior to the start of the offensive, the majority of our forces have yet to cross the Our, where are the engineers??

Elements of our forward divisions are in contact with the enemy after a massive preparatory bombardment all along the line, we cannot see the result and can only hope we have caused a great deal of damage and disruption. Meanwhile other elements of our great offensive are moving forward in anticipation of closing with the enemy, we shall see what the day brings.

Arnhem

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
NORAD said:
Excellent! It is nice to see some excitement finally in the PzC Section! Welcome aboard! :D
Thanks for the welcome! I was wondering if I was talking to an empty room, nice to see someone's taking the time to read the stuff I'm posting.

Chris

December 16, 0800hrs (Turn 2)

The general advance across the front continues. The cursed Dannynites have subjected some of our forward units to artillery attacks but that seems to be the extent of their response thus far. Intelligence was right about the Dannynite deployments, infantry spread out and deployed in the tiny villages and hamlets that mark the countryside, often out of reach of supporting artillery and too understrength to stop the juggernaut that is our counteroffensive. Engineer units are moving forward but not fast enough. In other news, OKW is seriously considering my request for the release of additional forces so I can be in Antwerp in time for Christmas. I wonder if those Cubans I sent Der Fuhrer did the trick.

6th Pz Armee AO
Dietrich was whining about something that sounded like Christmas and the Meuse when I left his CP, he reports 2 infantry divisions and a calvary group standing in his way but assures me he will soon make short work of them.

5th Pz Armee AO
The Greyhounds of the 116th made some spectacular gains in the area south of St. Vith as they smashed into the thin line of infantry that stood in their way, however, other units are still struggling to get across the Our, curse the lack of time we had to prepare!

7th Armee AO
Brandenberger reports his units are moving forward as scheduled. Opposition in his AO is light as expected.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
US First turn

Troops got hit hard at some places. Some are disrupting quickly, due to being green. Concentrating massed artillery to slow down Jerries advances. Hold God Damn It!!! Hold don't run away!!!!!!!!

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
After a third turn, the US forces are still realling back from the German onslaught. Some units in the centre are breaking. And I haven't even seen the SS Panzer divisions yet......

Arnhem

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
December 16, 1400hrs

Resistance across the entire front is much stiffer than expected, small units of Dannynites are holding their ground and putting up a fight, most will die in place as a result of their foolish heroics but they are buying precious time for my opponent to bring up the avalanche of reinforcements he is sure to have. OKW has released the 10th SS PzD and 11th PzD to my command, I will have to think about where to commit them in order to cause the most pain to Danny.

AOK.7 AO
Bridging units are furiously working to put up as many bridges across the Our and units are starting to move across and join their kameraden on the west bank. Elements of the 352 VGD are on the outskirts of Diekirch while the rest of the Army moves to shore up the left flank of the advance. The VGDs are finding it hard to execute their orders due to the large quantities of green men in the ranks, fortunately the VAKs and VWBs of the Armee are doing a fine job of immolating the positions of the Americans who choose to stand and fight.

PzAOK.5 AO
2 PzD has managed to setup a crossing and units are streaming across the Our to join it's lead regiment for the assault on Clervaux. The American Division in the Schnee Eifel area has been postively identified as the 106th Infantry after the Aufklarung Abt. of the 116th PzD stumbled across it's HQ at Elcherath and shot it up while it was scouting for a way into St. Vith. Elements of LXVI.AK are about to complete it's encirlement and destruction.

PzAOK.6
The PzDs of I SS.PzK are on the move after a damnable delay in their movement from start lines. Hopefully the Korp's infantry divisions would have cleaved a path through forward deployed Dannynite units by the time the panzers reach the front lines. The calvary group covering the Losheim Gap fell back in disarray before the advance of 3 FJD and more than half of it's units have now been encircled. Forward units probing in the direction of Elsenborn report contact with Dannynite armour, I had hoped it would be a while longer before I saw those.

P.S. How's the AAR going? Comments and critiques welcomed.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
AAR is doing fine. :)

The US forces are holding in the north and will not give an inch without a fight. If I can keep the German forces disrupted, I'm in business.

The centre, well for a lack of a better word, is in shambles. The forward elements are breaking and I have to retreat them so they can rally and fight another day. Some units are still fighting and I have sent orders to all my company commanders that they are to fight and buy time for my reinforcements to arrive. Some Shermans are starting to arrive and hopefully with a few tank killer units, I'll be able to slow the SS onslaught which is sure to come. All units have the same orders: dig-in where you stand and the engineers will blow bridges as much as they can.

In the southern sector, the Germans don't seem to have put too much units in the line. Although they are making some progress, not much compared to the centre.

Hold on Boys, we're gonna win this fight!!

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Into my 6th turn now. The northern flank is holding well. The massed artillery barrages are keeping his VG Regiments disrupted. In the centre, it is another story. The 106th ID is a mess and has ceased to operate cohesively. Too many Companies and Battalions have broken and I am forced to retreat them without offering a fight to Jerry. I hate that. In the south, the 4th ID is holding and has just received some much needed armored reinforcements.

Arnhem

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
December 16, 1800hrs (Turn 7)

Nightfall sees mixed results for Army Group B's first day.

PzAOK.6 AO
Mixed results from the VGDs, the veteran American 2nd ID has thrown back assaults on it's positions all day and has not moved an inch. However, the 12th VGD has made good progress in the direction of Rocherath-Krinkelt and should be in position to assault the twin villages at first light. Elements of 3rd FJD have pushed aside the calvary group at Losheim and are moving west. The 150th PzB should have St. Vith in hand by daylight as it rushes to cover the Korps's left flank. The SS PzDs have yet to come into play as they struggle with the traffic jams that have developed along the few roads capable of supporting armour, although first light should see the Dannynites in for a bit of a fight.

PzAOK.5 AO
LXVI.AK is rounding up elements of the surrounded division in the Schnee Eifel region, there have been some surrenders but the majority are choosing to make a fight of it and the Korps will have to spend valuable time securing the area. The 116th PzD has reached the Our and is attempting to secure crossing at several points. Further south, XLVII.PzK is making preparations to capture the crossing at Clervaux in order to clear the way into Bastogne and Wiltz.

AOK.7 AO
Progress is slow against splintered yet dogged resistance, the lack of armour in this sector and the slow bridge building do not help things. Still, great things weren't expected of this Armee and all goes to plan.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Into turn 9. It is looking pretty bleak indeed. The centre divisions are collapsing. Most of my young and inexperienced soldiers are fleeing at the approach of the German tanks and infantry. They are almost all cut off and isolated. In the south, the 4th ID is holding as best it can although some forward units are hard pressed to remain in their trenches. In the north, it seems the Germans have been stopped. Massed artillery fire keeps the Heer in check and disrupted. Managed an assault against a panzer unit and was able to destroy a few vehicles and push the unit back. Now if only the 101st could arrive to fortify Bastogne. The battle of Clervaux is raging. I managed to put two tank batallions in the city just in time to prevent the crossing of the river. I need to redeploy an engineer regiment to blow the bridge up!!!

Arnhem

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
December 17, 0600hrs

Dawn brings a new day to the front. Units all along the line pushed and probed defences throughout the night. Fatigue and disruption were traded for time and space, I must gain as much ground and destroy as many units as I can before my local numerical superiority is eroded.

PzAOK.6
Panzers Forward! Preiss pushed his men hard to get into position by first light. The Hitlerjugend have torn a hole in the line in the Monshau-Hofen area and are in position to tear up the rear of American lines along Elsenborn Ridge. The LSAH are on their their assigned route and are now making first contact with enemy units. 12 VGD is spent after having made attacks throughout the night in an effort to clear the way for LSAH. Enemy tanks made the going slow and losses in the infantry ranks were heavy but now that the LSAH are here the panzers ought to make short work of whatever's left.

PzAOK.5
St. Vith is void of defenders save some artillery units, it should be in hand by midday. The defenders of the Schnee Eifel are being systematically rounded up and a VGD should be free to move forward soon leaving just the 62 VGD to clean up the mess. The 116 PzD is bogged down around trying to clear it's area of infantry, while mostly a spent force, enough of them remain to be more than just a nuisance. Further south, the situation around Clervaux is critical, 2 PzD has found itself opposed by fresh armour to back up the ragtag defenders of that vital crossing, Pazer Lehr is bringing up the rear and is caught in an almighty traffic jam of backlogged units. Time is slipping away, precious time we do not have.

AOK.7
Most units have crossed the Our and are starting to make their presence felt. An American panzer kampfgruppe has been surrounded near Beaufort and is being offered the chance at an honourable surrender. Diekirch is well defended by artillery and whatever infantry managed to fall back from the front lines, I will have to wait for more infantry to come up before I try anything more adventurous.

Arnhem

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
December 17, 0800hrs

Curses! Clear Skies! I'm sending the entire weather section to the Ost so there can know the difference between snowfall and clear skies. The spearheads of the Hitlerjugend that were given a once over by the Jabos but nothing too serious and AA units report having shot down at least 3 and damaging a score of others.

PzAOK.6
The Hitlerjugend have advanced beyond Monshau and are deploying in line. Panzers have handled a screen of armoured cars roughly. Artillery units have been sighted, hopefully we'll be able to overrun them before they can pull back to the safety of the rear. Enemy reserves seem to be arriving in strength. Einheit Steilau units report massive troop movement in the Hohes Venn area. LSAH panzer units have engaged in pitched battle with enemy armour near Bullingen, schwere panzer and jagdpanzer units moved up in support and are proceeding to defeat the enemy in detail.

PzAOK.5
Clervaux is ours! Panzers of the 2 PzD have crossed the river and driven out the defenders of Clervaux in a daring daylight assault. The foothold is tenious but a foothold nonetheless. PzLehr is driving in the direction of Trois-Vierges in an attempt to flank enemy line and drive for Bastogne. Units are moving toward Wiltz as well, might a lowly VGD beat the vaunted panzers to Bastogne?

AOK.7
Units are preparing to assault Diekirch while others move westward in preparation to cover the left flank of the advance. The kampfgruppe at Beaufort surrendered after a sprited exchange of gunfire. Movement along this sector is woefully slow but it's not like the rest of the Armee is going anywhere.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
December 17th, 1000 hrs turn 11 Allieds

North sector

Monschau has fallen to element of the 12th SS. With the fall of that city, the northern sector is threatened. I need to buy time so reinforcements can arrive to plus the holes. Therefore, reluctantly, I have ordered that all units will stand fast and fight to the last bullet, HQs included. To waste good soldiers away is the only way I can see to prevent the 12th to outflank me. Elsenborne Ridge is holding and the Krauts will have a tough time to dislodge me. Tanks are pretty much useless in that terrain so infantry assaults will be coming for sure.

Central sector

Saint Vith has been evacuated by all except a token AA unit who has volunteered to remain to offer some resistance to the Germans. The 106th ID is on the verge of destruction. Some companies are holding by their finger nails. The 28th ID isn't doing much better and I have ordered it's broken units to attempt to rally and get back into the fight. Forward elements of the German Army are in contact with the 9th Armored Division near Clervaux. Since Clervaux has been taken, I have sent reinforcements to the area to plus the holes and if possible to contain and retake Clervaux. It's road crossings are vital and my engineer units were incapable of reaching the bridges in time to blow them. The battle of Clervaux will be pivotal in this defensive phase of the battle.

Southern sector

The 4th ID is performing outstandingly. Some forward elements are waiting for the right time to move and cut the supply lines from the Krauts. More reinforcements are arriving by the hour and I am confident that the 4th will hold.

Overall, the situation is dire. Both SS divisions are breaking through and performing well as was expected of them. Now if the weather can hold out, my aircrafts can fly. Although his flak capability is impressive, I am getting some good results on bombing runs, specially against artillery units which I am catching in the open or in travel mode.

I need time!!!!!!!!

Arnhem

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
Dec 17, 1200hrs (Turn 12)

Note to self: Must remember that am moving under clear skies and in daylight, air attacks have cost me a few artilery pieces, in particular a battalion firing in support of 2 PzD lost 85% of it's strength to airstrikes alone. The pace seems to have bogged down a bit, I'm starting to pay the price for pushing my units throughout the the previous night. I have to rotate units out of the line for some rest soon or I'll be fighting fresh men with zombies. The American units that are surrounded/bypassed are causing me some concern, too many units are tied down in rounding them up, I need more men forward to exploit the situation on the front lines.

PzAOK.6
I SS.PzK. continues it's envelopment of the Elsenborn Ridge area, stubborn enemy resistance particularly at Bullingen has forced me to deploy for a delibrate attack, up till now I've been pummeling my way forward with assaults but that takes too heavy a toll on men and equipment, I'll have to be a little more circumspect in the use of my PzDs. St. Vith has fallen, the enemy chose not to make a fight for it, pulling back most of his defenders, 2 artillery battalions of his tried to take the raod south for a quick getaway but were spotted in time and annihilated by my colleagues in the Luftwaffe.

PzAOK.5
2 PzD is deploying to cross and expand the bridgehead at Clervaux, it will take time but I don't see how the enemy units that Danny has at hand can stop me. PzLehr is not fully deployed yet and is clogging up the roads trying to bypass enemy strongpoints. Thus far, I seem to be misusing the 116th PzD in that I'm wasn't sure on what to do with it in terms of direction and objectives, it's spending it's time running around the countryside rounding up stragglers, that will change.

AOK.7
Nothing much to report, resistance is spirited in this sector, the fact I've got Kreigsmarine and Luftwaffe men in the front lines in this sector doesn't help.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Allies turn 12

Northern sector

My last order to hold to the last is paying off. Although my men are being exterminated, their sacrifice will not be in vain. I have two full divisions coming in, one being the vaunted Big Red 1. The 1st ID should be in action momentarily and will be facing the tough 12th SS. If I can stop it, the Elsenborn Ridge could be saved from encirclement.

Central sector

Still a mess. St-Vith has fallen to the Krauts. But, there are still numerous units either broken, disrupted and/or isolated still behind the ennemy lines. This is causing the Germans to deploy units to deal with them. If they leave them be, these isolated companies and batalions would have a field day cutting the lines of supply to the main thrust.

Southern sector

More reinforcements keep arriving accompanied with much needed artillery which have started to get into the action. The 4th is holding and I am anticipating it will hold the Germans. We still have clear skies and the airforce is flying.... for now.

Arnhem

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
Given the operational nature of PzC, would having screenshots liven up the AARs? The op tempo is nowhere near CM or SP so I'd imagine the screenshots would be progressive rather than blow by blow, something like initial deployments, breakthrough and exploitation stages.

Also, could we have a show of hands from the people besides NORAD who follow this thread? I'd like to see who's as crazy about PzC as I am.

Arnhem

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
December 17, 1400hrs (Turn 14)

PzAOK.6
LSAH armour has thrown back the 2 Sherman battalions standing in it's way, Elsenborn lies tantalizingly near with nothing but disrupted and shattered units standing in the way of forward elements. In the north, the HJ are fanning out from Monschau, an artillery unit was overrun and that nusiance of a calvary group is still blocking the way south but at least we are moving forward. Air recon shows several unidentified units moving towards Elsenborn, van der Heydte reports even more enemy units coming in from the direction of Verviers, he will do what he can to slow them down but even that will be a problem for his little band of merry men. The VGDs are pushing forward and maintaining pressure on the units deployed on Elsenborn Ridge so as to prevent them from running too far if they break.

PzAOK.5
The Schnee Eifel should be clear of enemy units by nightfall, battalions are surrending en masse after running out of ammunition and suppies. PzLehr has gotten out onto some clear roads and the panzers are racing for points west. The fight for Clervaux rages on, might as well attrit what units Danny has sent up to contest the crossing. The north end of Wiltz has been given up without a fight, puzzling, I wonder what he's up to. Air recon of Bastogne show it's lightly defended, keep it that way, I'll be with you guys in a bit.

AOK.7
Got my ass handed to me again, an artillery unit in march column got pasted by Dannynite air. Other than that, pickets around Diekirch are beginning to fall back and we should be able to assault the town by daybreak, I hope.