Russian Aircraft Rockets

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Just noticed that in the Kursk module and in OtOv2 the Russian Aircraft use red TH numbers when firing rockets. Is this a design decision specific for these two modules? Or were Russian aircraft rockets noticeably less accurate than the Western allies? The reason I ask is because I am using some of these aircraft in my Berlin CG and I was wondering if it would be legitimate to use black TH numbers? In Berlin many of the German AFV are dug in and in TEM and the infantry are in high TEM too. Making them much harder to hit.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'd have all aircraft rockets using red numbers. They were notoriously inaccurate. Besdies, the range is often less than 6 hexes so it will not make much difference.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just noticed that in the Kursk module and in OtOv2 the Russian Aircraft use red TH numbers when firing rockets. Is this a design decision specific for these two modules? Or were Russian aircraft rockets noticeably less accurate than the Western allies? The reason I ask is because I am using some of these aircraft in my Berlin CG and I was wondering if it would be legitimate to use black TH numbers? In Berlin many of the German AFV are dug in and in TEM and the infantry are in high TEM too. Making them much harder to hit.
Yeah, rockets were not really pinpoint weapons.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I'd have all aircraft rockets using red numbers. They were notoriously inaccurate. Besdies, the range is often less than 6 hexes so it will not make much difference.
The rockets already have a +2 TH on the ITT and a +3 TH on the VTT. If you include TEM or movement and the fact that they are fired from 7-12 hexes away (because they can only be fired on a strafing run unless using the ATT) it makes it very difficult to hit anything.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The Soviets used the same rockets for ground and air launch. From photos and what I have read the welding of fins could often be quite crude. So what might get a US rocket casing rejected at factory level could still pass for a Soviet casing. To be honest I don't really know.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Maybe it was just because during playtesting the number of Russian aircraft with rockets proved too effective at knocking out infantry and AFV? In both the Kursk module and OtO there is very little TEM for the German to hide in. The Russians have many aircraft with rockets. Perhaps it is just a design for effect thing to stop the Russians being too lethal.

I think I would be justified to give the Russian rockets black TH# in a late war urban setting. Otherwise the rockets won't be effective enough!

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I cant remember everything, but I believe it was a combination of the Russian rockets were either did not have stabilizers and were considered inaccurate compared to western rockets with stabilizers. Also, at times they did seem very powerful. With all the ASL work I am doing right now I could be misremembering.
One could easily special rule in Black TH#s is the situation calls for it.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don't think Rockets should be allowed to only attack on the ATT. They are just very very inaccurate. Even ATT rockets wil be very effective against unprotected infantry or soft targets, less so against halkftracks and pretty ineffetual against aroured targets. That is how they should be.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I don't think Rockets should be allowed to only attack on the ATT. They are just very very inaccurate. Even ATT rockets wil be very effective against unprotected infantry or soft targets, less so against halkftracks and pretty ineffetual against aroured targets. That is how they should be.
Do you mean they should only be allowed to fire on the ATT?

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought the RS-82 and the RS-132 were developed by the USSR in the 1930s and given Soviet manufacturing and production methods I. frankly, I would not be surprised if they were less accurate than American weapons.