Russian 50 cal HMGs

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Yeah except in the case of sex, the "designer" put an entertainment complex next to the waste treatment plant. Poor zoning.
Some people consider the waste treatment plant an additional entertainment complex. I think it's even legal now in most jurisdictions north of the Mason-Dixon line.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Meh,.... despite all the historical references to weight, etc., I am sure that Red Army leg infantry, MG or "fortified region" units schlept this monster from one position to the next, even if it meant spreading the load around the squad/team. For longer moves there would have been wagons or trucks available. As noted, the MMG and HMG could also be dismantled and carried, if the .50 is redesigned why not the others?

I agree with the view that these weapons, and IFP in general, are 'abstract' as is much of the game.

Considering the options available to a squad I don't see the need to re-invent the Red Army's MGs., especially since the .50 is seen so rarely outside of CGs. :)

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The tone seems to changing...

For the game, there really isn’t a need for a 5pp version. Rules do support the 3pp version. This coupled with concerns by the VASL gurus on offering an unofficial version in the core module is leaning me to adding just the 3pp version. Avoids future confusion.

A 5pp version could be offered through an extension however. There’s talk of one day offering a player request extension that would add all sorts of player request counters like this. But today is not that day. Tomorrow could be ?

Look for the 3pp version in the next VASL release.

Great discussion. I really appreciate all the feedback, opinions, real life experiences, history, et al.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I agree with the view that these weapons, and IFP in general, are 'abstract' as is much of the game.
I think you hit the nail on the head there.

Infantry Firepower (FP) is a very abstract concept. We do not reduce the firepower of a squad by 1/2 FP after it has broken once.....which keeps the game playable.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

For the game, there really isn’t a need for a 5pp version. Rules do support the 3pp version. This coupled with concerns by the VASL gurus on offering an unofficial version in the core module is leaning me to adding just the 3pp version. Avoids future confusion.

A 5pp version could be offered through an extension however. There’s talk of one day offering a player request extension that would add all sorts of player request counters like this. But today is not that day. Tomorrow could be ?

Great discussion. I really appreciate all the feedback, opinions, real life experiences, history, et al.
Me too, great when like minds meet!!!!!!!

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think you hit the nail on the head there.

Infantry Firepower (FP) is a very abstract concept. We do not reduce the firepower of a squad by 1/2 FP after it has broken once.....which keeps the game playable.
True, one house rule I have is if a squad suffers cas reduction and has a sw, I select the KIA halfsquad and the remaining HS and do random selection and the highest has the weapon, so you could end up having to recover the sw due to the one possessing it is KIA.....

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Al thank you for the great discussion and putting the weapon on the next VASL version..
Shane

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
Yeah except in the case of sex, the "designer" put an entertainment complex next to the waste treatment plant. Poor zoning.

It's a typical Monday morning and I just read this. Can't stop laughing. Thanks!

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Seems to me that if you sit in that seat, you would have a really awkward forward-lean in order to line you eye up along the sights?

In the modern world, who makes ammo for it? Where do the [ edit: murderous muslim extremists who want to destroy America and force their own sick degenerate form of sharia law upon the world ] get it from? They could assemble ammo from the components, but the brass requires higher tech to manufacture. Can't we figure out where empty cases came from & apply political pressure to the exporting country? At least publicize it?

Last edited: