"Runtime Error 9"

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did the RTE 9 take place during the first, or second, turn execution?

We recently ran into an error in which a unit that is somehow incorrectly placed off-map (don't know how, yet), and is under AI control, attempts to move on the second turn executed, and causes an RTE 9 crash.

Mr_Ed

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Runtime error 9 & additional fatal error

I get "runtime error 9" as well something "subscript out of range -2"
I suspect it's something in the user created scenarios as I cannot recall this behavior during the included scenarios.
This is highly irritating in that you (that is all of you contributors) have created very intriguing scenarios that appear to be a blast but alas I have no joy...
Thanks & very best regards - Ed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you provide a bit more information? What steps do you preform before the error occurs?

Mr_Ed

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Runtime error 9 & additional fatal error

once I've initiated the game, started taking turn(s). there seems to be no real specific pattern. I'll confess I've been trying the various scenarios; then once they crater I'll go on & try another one. This is consistent with every single scenario I've downloaded. None are playable for more than a few turns regardless of whether I'm playing blue or red.
The game itself I just purchased a week or 2 ago so I'd think it would be as 'current' as possible.
I can fiddle with the pre-supplied scenarios, add some forces (so I have a fighting chance) & things seem to operate all OK. I haven't messed with editing any of the AI objectives. Perhaps the scenarios an/or terrain files I downloaded were corrupt?
I haven't edited any of the user created scenarios in any way & they all have the same runtime error 9 outcome at some point. It is generally within the 1st few turns of the scenario.
Thanks - Ed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Weird. Unfortunately, until we can find a pattern, it's hard to say why this happens. :(

The easiest scenario, by the way, is NTC1. You should be able to win it without reinforcement; and once you're adept at handling fire support, you should be able to win it handily.

Mr_Ed

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NTC=bad memories

Will try NTC scenarios.
The SWA scenarios seem to run fine even with my minor tweaking.
I have just tried several times Saddam's Hand is Called v1.2, as downloaded with no tweaking by me. Ran blue player v red comp. without giving any orders to any unit, always crashes with runtime error 9 at turn 2 during "Generating Current Intelligence Picture" phase of the turn.
just tried red player v blue comp & no problems thru turn 4. Would this tend to indicate red AI objectives are hosed up somehow?
Thanks - Ed

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does Red get additional units, brought in from off-map, on turn 3?

I've seen that circumstance produce that crash.

Mr_Ed

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Runtime Error 9

Yes, Red receives it's 1st reinforcement unit on turn 3. Why would this effect turn 2 "Updating Intelligence" segement? Wouldn't it be more likely to cause a crash durning the turn of reinforcement? Or is this the precise behavior you have observed?
Thanks very much, you're getting me closer to a solution I think.
Thanks - Ed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know the "why", but it looks very similar to a crash I've observed. You can create it in the factory scenarios by playing one of the SWA scenarios as Red; the game keels over when Blue's reinforcement units arrive.

Mr_Ed

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Runtime Error 9 & scenario design

OK, I modified the scenario 'Saddam's Hand is Called' v1.2; changed *only* the arrival time of the red reinforcement unit from turn 3 to turn 2. Runtime Error 9 still occurs during same 'Generating Current Intelligence Picture' phase of turn 2. This would seem to indicate to me that the reinforcement's arrival isn't the problem.
It looks as if I'll have to do more searching of the innards of red's portion of this scenario setup.
Is there any signficance to the error consistantly failing during the Intelligence Picture Phase of the turn? What occurs during this phase?

Perhaps I need to just bite the bullet & build my own scenarios.
Thanks - Ed

Mr_Ed

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Runtime Error 9

James Sterrett said:
I don't know the "why", but it looks very similar to a crash I've observed. You can create it in the factory scenarios by playing one of the SWA scenarios as Red; the game keels over when Blue's reinforcement units arrive.
This is certainly discouraging....
Thanks - Ed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It may also mean that I'm wrong about what's causing the problem.

We don't use the reinforcement tool very much, so it isn't something I'm especially clued in on.

I'll try to remember to check my notes on this tomorrow.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dug up my notes on this....

Upshot: This goes deeper than just having units offmap, and I never got to the bottom of it. :(