"Runtime Error 9"

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After fiddling with some initial and final AI objectives/waypoints on the scenario that I am creating, I attempted to give the scenario an initial runthrough as Blue. Input some graphics (phaselines, NAIs, and TAIs), plotted some waypoints for the blue brigades, pressed game turn advance, was give the new ATO allocation, then got the "Runtime Error 9 Subscript out of range".

Any other sceanrio creators run up against this? Any ideas of the problem?

TIA

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
So you got this error while actully playing, not while in the editor? Which version are you currently running? Have you been able to duplicate the error?

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
So you got this error while actully playing, not while in the editor? Which version are you currently running? Have you been able to duplicate the error?
v2.04 3 Jan 05

In the game, not the editor. Yes, did duplicate. I am sort of at this logjam with the scenario I am creating so the scenario itself is the "error". I'm fairly certain that it has something to do with "Plot Initial AI Objective" and "Plot Final AI Objective" since I assigned them to two or three red units and when I ran the actual program, got the error.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll try to check this against our buglist on Monday - it sounds vaguely familiar.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
James Sterrett said:
I'll try to check this against our buglist on Monday - it sounds vaguely familiar.
While it is only in early development, nowhere near what I have conceptualized, I can zip up the map, terrain, and scenario - run it as blue and you will have the error before any ground combat.

Let me know if you would like the digits.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I would suggest sending this to Jim with an explanation of what is happening. Just as a test, have you tried deleting the AI objectives for Red and then running the scenario again? That, at least, would help narrow down the cause of the error.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Just as a test, have you tried deleting the AI objectives for Red and then running the scenario again?
Hate to beat a dead horse but I cannot seem to delete the AI objectives with actually deleting the unit that has the AI objective. Is there a way to delete the "Plot Initial AI Objective" and "Plot Final AI Objective" points just like deleting a units movement waypoints?

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
pmaidhof said:
Hate to beat a dead horse but I cannot seem to delete the AI objectives with actually deleting the unit that has the AI objective. Is there a way to delete the "Plot Initial AI Objective" and "Plot Final AI Objective" points just like deleting a units movement waypoints?
Okay, I don't see any way to actually delete objectives once they are entered, but they can be easily changed. Did you, by chance, plot the objectives prior to editing the map information? Are any of the objectives right on the map edge?

Have you tried editing the objectives and running the scenario again just to see if you still get an error?

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Okay, I don't see any way to actually delete objectives once they are entered, but they can be easily changed. Did you, by chance, plot the objectives prior to editing the map information?
No, map terrain was edited and finalized prior to adding AI objectives. One unit that was on the map prior to the terrain being finalized has already been deleted in my "trouble-shooting" this morning.

Don Maddox said:
Are any of the objectives right on the map edge?
No

Don Maddox said:
Have you tried editing the objectives and running the scenario again just to see if you still get an error?
Yes - trouble-shooting. Still get the same error.

Could it to do with the map graphic apparently being too big for the program? I started coding terrain along the north edge (An Najaf). The editor did not permit me to code about the bottom 1/8 of the map.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
pmaidhof said:
Could it to do with the map graphic apparently being too big for the program? I started coding terrain along the north edge (An Najaf). The editor did not permit me to code about the bottom 1/8 of the map.
Hmmm, something isn't right here. Can you email this scenario to me? Is the map the An Najef map from the archives? If it is, you don't need to send the map image itself, just the terrain file. I'll take a look at it and see what I can see.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmph. the thing I was remembering was a different bug, though possibly distantly related:

"Unit Editor Crash: Run-Time Error 9: subscript Out of Range.

I went into the Game Editor and added a Red convoy, giving it the name 31.

I cloned it and assigned the clone the name "32".

The above error popped up. Happens on cloning any unit."

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
James Sterrett said:
Hmph. the thing I was remembering was a different bug, though possibly distantly related:

"Unit Editor Crash: Run-Time Error 9: subscript Out of Range.
Thanks for looking into it James. This error occurs in the actual game though, not the editor. However, I believe it has to do with something I did in the editor, possibly being a map larger than what DA allows since I have been toying around with the editor and being a simple scenario on the factory-provided NTC1 map. In this test, I have been able to create units, plot AI objectives (and actually have have the AI follow what I had intended) as I should be able to.

I think that I will use a sub-section of the map that would center on the area that my "fight" will occur.

Do you think an excessive map size could corrupt the editor, thus the .sce file? What is the largest map size allowable in DA?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep, I realize it's different, but the similarity of the type of error is suspicious. :)

I don't know if an excessively large map would crash it; from your description, it shounds like you are using the NTC map, which isn't too large, unless you resized the scale to make the boxes tiny....?

I know that John Osborne can make the game crash with a map that is somewhere above 350x350km.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
pmaidhof said:
you have mail.
I messed with it a little bit. First, your map is not big enough to come anywhere near DA's map area limitation, so that is certainliy not the problem.

After doing some experiments, your terrain file seems to be corrupted. I tried to fix it but it seems to have locked out a large segment of the map for no apparent reason. Did you, by chance, alter the map scale after you completed the terrain file? That is my best guess of what is wrong here. If so, you can't do that. You need to set the scale using the drag and drop distance calculator, then code the terrain. If you make changes to map distance, you will need to start from scratch again and create a whole new terrain file.

Using the same map, I was able to easily start from scratch and start building a new terrain file with no problems. There is nothing wrong with the "map" itself, this is just an image.

I suggest you re-measure your distance using the drag and drop, then create a brand new terrain file. Incidentally, you seem to be using overly restrictive terrain for much of the map. The "hilly" region that on the Saudi border that you currently have coded as Red (severely restricted) is not really that rugged. The shading on that map is mostly there to show the gradual change in elevation more than anything else. While there are rugged areas, rocky outcrops, and wadis in the region, most of it is relatively flat an passable for groun units.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
After doing some experiments, your terrain file seems to be corrupted. I tried to fix it but it seems to have locked out a large segment of the map for no apparent reason. Did you, by chance, alter the map scale after you completed the terrain file?
Although anything may have happened while I was beating my head against the wall, I don't think I changed/alter the scale after beginning the terrain file. Either, way, I'll ditch the whole scenario and terrain files and start anew.

Thanks for checking into it. How is your VII Corps scenario coming. I'm interested since I have been re-reading the rules and historical folder to GDW's Phase Line Smash.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
James Sterrett said:
I don't know if an excessively large map would crash it; from your description, it shounds like you are using the NTC map
Map that I had the problem with was the Hi-Res An Nasiriyah map. I have since been experimenting with the NTC map since I knew that size would not be an issue. Thanks again sir.
James Sterrett said:
I know that John Osborne can make the game crash
Yeah, yeah, leave to John to break it :laugh:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
pmaidhof said:
Thanks for checking into it. How is your VII Corps scenario coming. I'm interested since I have been re-reading the rules and historical folder to GDW's Phase Line Smash.
I've been working on some other stuff at the moment and haven't touched it for several months. At the moment I'm not sure how I'm going to proceed with that scenario. Although I'm only modelling the VII Corps area and not the units on either side (XVIII Airborne Corps and the Marines/Coalition Forces) it's still probably beyond the scope of what DA can handle. There were a lot of divisions under VI Corps, including a division from the UK. This one is currently on hold while I continue to evaluate it.

I also have a partially completed map of the same area your scenario seems to cover. I'll see if I can dig it up. If so, that will save you the time of having to do another terrain file.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
I also have a partially completed map of the same area your scenario seems to cover. I'll see if I can dig it up. If so, that will save you the time of having to do another terrain file.
Thanks.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I can't seem to locate that map. I guess I may have deleted it. Sorry.