Rumanian Coast Defense.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Deibler and I are planning to start a campaign game soon about Soviet Marines attacking Rumanian and German coastal area on the Black Sea. This started a discussion of the obscure German effort to defend the Rumanian Coast from 1939 to 1944. The German coastal defense force was 11,000 men. There were various 11" guns, some of which were railway guns, and 37 88s on concrete flak towers like those in Berlin in 1945. There was a substantial force of Rumanian planes (nearly 300 ex-Polish planes), which were used to monitor Soviet Naval forces in the Black Sea. Only night allowed Soviets ships to operate. The disastrous Soviet attempt in 1941 to attack the Rumanian main naval base was an eye opener for them! Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
None, but I thought it interesting. Where should I place entries like this? Don noted that the now dead authority on German artillery, Ian Hogg, reported following a visit to Rumania in 1979 that the German flak 88s were still operational. The flak towers were converted into housing. Someone in authority may move this misplaced thread or could simply eliminate it if neccesay.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not know how to move threads. Could someone do it? I did not think about it when I posted.

DonHalsey44

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a minor clarification: The naval base at Constanta was protected by triple 280mm German (Battery Tirpitz) guns linked together with German installed radar. Additionally, that section of coast was supported by similar rail guns running on track roughly parallel to the coast. It's only combat was during the initial months of the conflict when the Soviets attempted to bombard the base.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I do not know how to move threads. Could someone do it? I did not think about it when I posted.
Only mods can do that.
I "reported" it.
Jazz - who has some power being a moderator here - often moves misplaced threads.