Rules Questions about Blood Reef Tarawa

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm starting this thread to ask / answer questions about Blood Reef Tarawa. I'm going to be playing a few scenarios and then trying a CG. So here's my first question.

On the Formation Table Notes (Page T6) it shows an number 1 or letter i after each of the pathfinders. To what does this refer?

Feel free to post your own questions here. I'm interested if anyone else it going to give this a try now that we have the Gamers Guide.

6x Pathfmders
(I.), 6x M3AI, 2x A.L.

7x Pathfinders
(I.), 7x M4A2, 3x A.L.

3x Pathfinders
(I.), 3x annored Bulldozer

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I'm starting this thread to ask / answer questions about Blood Reef Tarawa. I'm going to be playing a few scenarios and then trying a CG. So here's my first question.

On the Formation Table Notes (Page T6) it shows an number 1 or letter i after each of the pathfinders. To what does this refer?

Feel free to post your own questions here. I'm interested if anyone else it going to give this a try now that we have the Gamers Guide.

6x Pathfmders
(I.), 6x M3AI, 2x A.L.

7x Pathfinders
(I.), 7x M4A2, 3x A.L.

3x Pathfinders
(I.), 3x annored Bulldozer

If refers the rules section 1. of Chapter T.

1. PATHFINDERS

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If refers the rules section 1. of Chapter T.

1. PATHFINDERS
Well duh... I was looking for a footnote labeled "1" or "i". I'd rep ya, but "they" won't let me.

Here's one more question.

Looking at the Fortification Purchase table it shows HIP with a foot note "a". This footnote says that this is "not available after the initial CG scenario".

But the other notes assocciated with HIP talk about limits for daytime and night scnearios. So some form of HIP -MUST- be available after the initial CG Scenario because none of those are night scenarios.

Typo? Or what am I missing?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Looking at the Fortification Purchase table it shows HIP with a foot note "a". This footnote says that this is "not available after the initial CG scenario".

But the other notes assocciated with HIP talk about limits for daytime and night scnearios. So some form of HIP -MUST- be available after the initial CG Scenario because none of those are night scenarios.

Typo? Or what am I missing?
Hm, on my page T15 it only says "J,e,m" in the "Notes" column for entry "HIP" in the Fortification Purchase Table.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, that's enough... my eyes must be failing...

this is not good. I'm already in trouble and I'm just thinking about a campaign game!

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One more question... hope it's not as lame as the first two...

I'm about to play "The Hawk". Does T6.32 apply? This is the rule that says the Japanese gets one trench for every 2 pillboxes in the OB (or purchased). The scenario card references BRT SSRs - but this is in the main rule section of Chapter T. OTOH, the rules about BRT terrain are in the main section, and they apply to the scenario...

Geeze, I should know this.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bump...

Any opinions? How much of Chapter T applies to the scenarios.

The SSRs - yes
The terrain Rules - yes (even tho they are not specifically referenced on the scenario card)

What about the free passage / trench for every 2 pillboxes?

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The way I read it was that for every two purchased(CG) or two OB given(scenario) you received a trench.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gents, we played "China Girl" and "the Hawk" today. And a couple of questions came up.

1. A tank with a wounded pathfinder is two hexes away from the beach. If he moves with the pathfinder, he can only go 1 hex. He'd really like to get to the beach. Can he voluntarily ditch the pathfinder and move on his own? We played it that he could, but of course would have a greater chance of a bog.

2. A USMC sniper is active and the closest Japanese are in a 1+3+5 pillbox and a bomproof (360 degree with +4 TEM). For what it's worth, the sniper is outside the pillbox's covered arch. (so sitting in the +5 TEM). Which is the lowest TEM? Or does the USMC get to choose?

I've played many a year, and I don't think I've ever had this come up before...

By the way, I won "China Girl" as the Japanese using the balance suggested in the Gamer's Guide.. (Add 2 MMGs to the US, add a half turn, and no HIP is allowed). But I lost "The Hawk" as the Japanese.... :)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Gents, we played "China Girl" and "the Hawk" today. And a couple of questions came up.

1. A tank with a wounded pathfinder is two hexes away from the beach. If he moves with the pathfinder, he can only go 1 hex. He'd really like to get to the beach. Can he voluntarily ditch the pathfinder and move on his own? We played it that he could, but of course would have a greater chance of a bog.
I think that is correct.

2. A USMC sniper is active and the closest Japanese are in a 1+3+5 pillbox and a bomproof (360 degree with +4 TEM). For what it's worth, the sniper is outside the pillbox's covered arch. (so sitting in the +5 TEM). Which is the lowest TEM? Or does the USMC get to choose?
I believe the Sniper attacks the 1+3+5 pillbox, A14.21:
"... Only the lowest (to a minimum of zero) in-hex TEM/SMOKE DRM applicable to any eligible target currently occupying that hex, regardless of LOS, is considered in the comparison..."

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, Klas

That makes sense. We were over-thinking it wondering if the fact that the sniper was out of the CA of the pill box made it a +5 TEM. :)

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

Getting ready to play BRT6 "A Legend is Born". This time I have the USMC. The Gamer's Guide suggests that we use the USMC balance and add a sherman and a 768 squad with a flame thrower!. The USMC balance allows me to exchange DC's for seawall breaches. But here's the question....

The balance says this:
During setup, the Marines may exchange any number of DC for a corresponding number of breach counters placed across any Seawall hexsides in the Marine setup area.
So, exactly when is this done? At the beginning of Japanese setup? After the Japanese setup? Any time during the USMC setup?

I think it would be during the USMC setup - which is after the Japanese setup. Just want to make sure.

I'm really looking forward to this one. :)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hi,

Getting ready to play BRT6 "A Legend is Born". This time I have the USMC. The Gamer's Guide suggests that we use the USMC balance and add a sherman and a 768 squad with a flame thrower!. The USMC balance allows me to exchange DC's for seawall breaches. But here's the question....

The balance says this:
During setup, the Marines may exchange any number of DC for a corresponding number of breach counters placed across any Seawall hexsides in the Marine setup area.
So, exactly when is this done? At the beginning of Japanese setup? After the Japanese setup? Any time during the USMC setup?

I think it would be during the USMC setup - which is after the Japanese setup. Just want to make sure.

I'm really looking forward to this one. :)
I would read it as "During their setup, the Marines..." The Marines shouldn't be placing things during the Japanese setup.

JR

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Betio seawall is a Low Seawall. G13.62 - 13.622 discusses LOS.
How is LOS traced from a beach hex to a beach hex, that crosses a Seawall hexside affected?
Is it blocked or hindered or NE?
An example on the BRT map would be from hex D19 to E30

Last edited:

Jason Cameron

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Betio seawall is a Low Seawall. G13.62 - 13.622 discusses LOS.
How is LOS traced from a beach hex to a beach hex, that crosses a Seawall hexside affected?
Is it blocked or hindered or NE?
An example on the BRT map would be from hex D19 to E30

View attachment 18908
It is my interpretation that, from the beach, the seawall is like a regular wall. Thus, the seawall blocks non-adjacent LOS. If you were in a hinterland hex, of course, there is no wall.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It might still be only a hindrance. The G13.622 example has it as a hindrance traced between two beach hexes, but the LOS "thread" is not identical to your example.

Jason Cameron

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have reversed my position; I believe there is a +1 hindrance for this sight line. This is assuming BRT has "low" seawalls.

G13.622 LOS: A unit entrenched in a Beach hex has no LOS across/along a low-seawall hexside/hexspine to any Level 0 Hinterland Location that lies beyond the Hinterland hex common to that hexside/hexspine. Otherwise, a low-seawall hexside does not block LOS, regardless of the beach’s Slope; however, a LOS traced across any (but along no) low-seawall hexside to or from (i.e., not “to/from”) a Level 0 Hinterland Location is subject to a +1 LOS Hindrance if that hexside is common to neither the hex that LOS originates in nor the hex it ends in. The maximum possible low-seawall Hindrance is +1, regardless of the number of such hexsides the LOS touches.

Jason