rules question about A2.9

drklrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A am a really newbie :)

reading through chapter A for the second time I have a question about the last sentence in A 2.9 could some one give me a more developed explanation I am comprehending that only 10% of the squads can be set up with out a leader. Does this mean that 90% of all squads must be stacked with a leader counter?Surely not I've looked at a few scenarios that this would just not be possible.

thanks in advance for any responses

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, it means that only 10% (FRU) of squads can be deployed. For an definition of deployment see A1.31.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
thanks

I misunderstood the concept of deployment. so 10% of a force may be broken into half squads and deplyed by them selves with out a leader in the same hex. but half squads stacked with a leader do not count against this limit?

da priest

Reaction score
Anonymous said:
thanks

I misunderstood the concept of deployment. so 10% of a force may be broken into half squads and deplyed by them selves with out a leader in the same hex.?
yep, at start.

but half squads stacked with a leader do not count against this limit?
? half squads with leader?

No -- you get the 10% rounded up(if country can half-squad)

Then you can try to deploy per the ASLRB after the game starts.

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
How about off board deployment? Something I saw an opponent do once and never checked on....when offboard units are set up to enter, can they deploy while off-board resrticted only by the presence of a leader?

B-

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bruce Childs said:
How about off board deployment? Something I saw an opponent do once and never checked on....when offboard units are set up to enter, can they deploy while off-board resrticted only by the presence of a leader?
Short answer: yes.

Per A2.52, "No action is allowed by units offboard awaiting entry [EXC: An off-board squad capable of deployment may attempt to Deploy in its RPh if stacked with a leader; see Setup Limitations (2.9)]."

Thus, when setting units up offboard initially, up to 10% (FRU) can deploy freely without regard to the presence of a leader. Once set up offboard, they can attempt RPh deployment in the usual way per A1.31 if stacked with a leader.

An interesting question though is whether a unit not usually requiring a leader for deployment (e.g., Finns, late-war Marines, etc.) can deploy without a leader if offboard, since A2.52 specifically only mentions deployment with a leader present.

Pete