Rules of the forum

Goblin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't see Don ban anything, did I? I saw him asking us to be civil to eachother. Open discussion without personal attacks or insults. Sounds very reasonable. I would never have posted more than a couple times here unless that was the type of crowd that hung out here. Seems Don wants us to remember it, is all. Am I correct Don?

Goblin

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I have almost given up posting on Iraq, Afghanistan etc.

The whole argument is just going around in circles, usually in a downward curve!

Don is right when he says to we non Americans that US servicemen and women are dying in battle right now. Maybe in even higher numbers than we get to hear about. So we should show respect and consideration for that. After all if our soldiers were dying I'm sure we would be raw as hell if others appeared to be condoning that.

On the other hand I think US members should bear in mind that the vast majority of us are NOT anti American. We just think that recent actions are hurting not just bad guys but also innocents, sometimes that can't be helped, but at other times were left wondering... :eek: :confused:

Anyway lets be more civil all round and try to show a bit more tolerence and understanding. :love: :) :p :D

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wolfe Tone said:
I have almost given up posting on Iraq, Afghanistan etc.

The whole argument is just going around in circles, usually in a downward curve!

Don is right when he says to we non Americans that US servicemen and women are dying in battle right now. Maybe in even higher numbers than we get to hear about. So we should show respect and consideration for that. After all if our soldiers were dying I'm sure we would be raw as hell if others appeared to be condoning that.

On the other hand I think US members should bear in mind that the vast majority of us are NOT anti American. We just think that recent actions are hurting not just bad guys but also innocents, sometimes that can't be helped, but at other times were left wondering... :eek: :confused:

Anyway lets be more civil all round and try to show a bit more tolerence and understanding. :love: :) :p :D
I agree! Come give Big Daddy a hug, Wolfie-Poo!:devil:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
You guys have the right idea. I'm not banning anything, so please don't get the idea that I am. I merely reminding everyone that you should really conduct yourself on this forum as if you were standing face to face with the other person. I know people will probably find that concept amusing to some extent, however, there is some truth to it.

Think about what you say before you say it.

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Don Maddox said:
And I appreciate that. We live in difficult times and there have been challenges for all of us. I guess my only reply is that Franch and German soldiers were not dying then, nor are they dying now. Americans are dying. This does tend to alter the backdrop of the debate a bit, yes?

If some of us Americans come off sounding a little harsh, I hope you can understand where the frustration is coming from. This particular debate isn't just another "issue" for us, it's a real live war where real people are being killed or maimed nearly every day.You have to take that into consideration when talk about some of these things. I have lost two frinds KIA in Iraq already. That changes the debate for me, that's why I having been staying out of it for the last week or so.
Sure on this one we don't go with you, but we lost many together in Lebanon. We lost many in Bosnia, some in Ivory coast. And when some US citizen were in danger in many african territories, french soldiers ran there to make them free even if they were no french civilians. As a frenchman I've very few influences upon Big Jack policy and I don't support 90% of his action. As I did against GWB, judge CHIRAC not the French

I perfectly understand what you feel. My father did Indochina war between 1945 and 1949, was badly wounded there, and my mother told me that 1st time she saw him crying was when Dien Bien Phu was lost as many of his friends were there. And at the end of the war upon 8000 prisoners made at DBP less than 3000 have returned back. He was all his life long very touchy upon Indochina subject. As you with Iraq

Ok now we can go loking to new subject as you said. And I open probably the most important one for you.
Yes Don you have anounced publicly your will to marry Radbabe. When is the wedding, man, that we send you virtual presents :D

my best thoughts

Der WanderMayor

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
I agree with Don on this matter. The personal attacks and the threads breaking down in to the same fights is getting old and taking away from this forum. As an 18 highschool graduate who will be starting college in the fall:cheeky: I enjoy coming to this forum and hearing about current events and history etc. from different people with different views, beliefs, cultures and religions. It is very interesting and inspires me to take a deeper look and thinks and examine how I see and percieve this. All that to say as of late alot of the threads have disentegrated into little cat fights between people and now I just skip whole threads and the first sign of these. I think its sad that some people can't have a civilised disagreement. I think if some of you want to really have at it you should just send each other emails;) Anyways hopefully the interesting debetes and disscusions will contiune without all of the child like fighting.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SoccerDJ said:
I agree with Don on this matter. The personal attacks and the threads breaking down in to the same fights is getting old and taking away from this forum. As an 18 highschool graduate who will be starting college in the fall:cheeky: I enjoy coming to this forum and hearing about current events and history etc. from different people with different views, beliefs, cultures and religions. It is very interesting and inspires me to take a deeper look and thinks and examine how I see and percieve this. All that to say as of late alot of the threads have disentegrated into little cat fights between people and now I just skip whole threads and the first sign of these. I think its sad that some people can't have a civilised disagreement. I think if some of you want to really have at it you should just send each other emails;) Anyways hopefully the interesting debetes and disscusions will contiune without all of the child like fighting.
Who you calling childlike?!

Must be my waifish figure and penchant for playing video games that threw you!:D

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
jlbetin said:
Ok now we can go loking to new subject as you said. And I open probably the most important one for you.

Yes Don you have anounced publicly your will to marry Radbabe. When is the wedding, man, that we send you virtual presents :D
It has been one thing after another. Now I'm in the process of moving to Philidelphia in mid June. While I am moving I will be offline for a short time. I will be there for 12 months. After that, we can pretty much go wherever we want in the US. If you could live anywhere in the US, where would you go? A hard question and one we're now having to seriously consider. Texas is the leading candidate at the moment, but that could change. I want some land where I can have a horse (or two). I'm not much of a city person.

In answer to your question, the wedding will be in very early June. I'm not telling you guys where until it's over. Some of you guys would probably crash it!!! :joy:

Foggy

Reaction score
That without question is the smartest comment in this thread :D Can you just imagine the open bar that the members would go thru :devil:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
It has been one thing after another. Now I'm in the process of moving to Philidelphia in mid June. While I am moving I will be offline for a short time. I will be there for 12 months. After that, we can pretty much go wherever we want in the US. If you could live anywhere in the US, where would you go? A hard question and one we're now having to seriously consider. Texas is the leading candidate at the moment, but that could change. I want some land where I can have a horse (or two). I'm not much of a city person.

In answer to your question, the wedding will be in very early June. I'm not telling you guys where until it's over. Some of you guys would probably crash it!!! :joy:
We have all kinds of open land, and a great standard of living here in Eastern Kansas/Western Missouri! N ot to mention a library (CARL) that is a wargamer's wet dream!;) :)

Tzar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Congratulations Don on your "incoming" wedding ! ;)

Personally, if I had to live in the US, it would be either Colorado, Wyoming or Vermont. All have very quiet spots where you can feel you live in the wilderness. But since I am more inclined to live in urban cities, either New York or Atlanta would be my choice.

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Tim McBride said:
The Black Hills of South Dakota.
Nice country and good politics(NO state income tax, low business taxes)
That's because of all the federal tax dollars that flow into the state from the states that actually make money, like California, New York, Massachusetts, et cetera. If they actually had to pay their own way, they'd be in a hell of a lot worse state.

If you can stand the rain, I'd suggest the Oregon coast, or either of the northern and southern border regions. Or, maybe southern Washington State. If you can't stand the rain, then the high desert regions of Oregon.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Don Maddox said:
If you could live anywhere in the US, where would you go?
Hawaii, or Virginia.

come to australia, Don - with a US military pension you'll be a millionaire comparatively :D

heh, my weddings in Sept - to the last days of freedom ;)

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
I think most (if not all) of arguments were discussed here, and you can find your standpoint in the Iraq situation. Of course many new things can come up, but I feel I cannot add too much to the Iraq debate, only if new info or new argument pop up in my mind.
It doesnot mean I won't post in Iraq threads, but not so frequently (it depends on how boring is my work that day :D

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
Hawaii, or Virginia.

Come to australia, Don - with a US military pension you'll be a millionaire comparatively.

heh, my weddings in Sept - to the last days of freedom
Funny you should mention this. Radbabe recently had a very good offer from a company in Sydney. The pay was excellent and so were the hours. After an extensive interview they mailed her the contract and were very eager to have her (she is a doctor). . .

I vetoed the idea. :nuts: I'm ready to buy a home of my own and I didn't like the idea of being so far away from both of our families (again). No doubt it would have been nice, but there would have been some fairly significant drawbacks too.

We have also considered the Carolinas, Florida, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado. Radbabe is from the south and I doubt she will like cold winters or snow, so that means we're mainly looking in the south. Anything is possible though.

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Don Maddox said:
Funny you should mention this. Radbabe recently had a very good offer from a company in Sydney. The pay was excellent and so were the hours. After an extensive interview they mailed her the contract and were very eager to have her (she is a doctor). . .

I vetoed the idea. :nuts: .
oh man, I cannot believe you! :eek: How can any MAN refuse to go to SYDNEY!! oh MAN!! :rolleyes:
:love: :D

Tim McBride

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
We have also considered the Carolinas, Florida, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado. Radbabe is from the south and I doubt she will like cold winters or snow, so that means we're mainly looking in the south. Anything is possible though.
As long as you can stand the heat Arizona is a nice place.(Actually if you live in Northern Arizona it isn't hot at all...)

BigDog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have you looked at Alabama Don? Property can be a steal if you are willing to drive a bit. The $15,000 I gave for my 5 acres is considered high for the area I am in but it was worth it to me. I have seen land in reasonable chunks for as low as $200 an acre. Alabama also has alot less restrictive laws than many of the neighbooring states.