Rules Easy to Forget During Play

Cabin4clw

Reaction score
First name
Joe
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

As a service to those who haven't played as long as some of you, I offer this question. What rule(s) do you find easiest to forget while you play?

Joe

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I'm always overlooking a rally attempt, weapon repair, or concealment growth. I try to get around the first two by placing brokies and malf'd weapons on top of a stack. Of course, this means that the leaders are usually down below but I usually keep my leaders at the bottom anyway (always have).

The concealment placement is just a matter of memory, I'm afraid

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Straying in the PTO. (G2.22)

However, the rule that seems to be the most forgotten is trying to assault move into a building/woods with a Squad/HS and a 5 PP weapon. I can't tell you how many people can't seem to grok the interaction of MF and PP. At least once per game someone forgets a unit's PP overage counts for Advance vs Difficult Terrain (A4.72).

Last edited:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The rule section reminding you it is better to just use a friendly arbitrary roll of the dice to resolve disputes when a rule has been forgotten for how to resolve something :)

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stuff I always have to remind myself of:

-a tank's MA loses its acquisiton on its target if the CMG fires on a different target
-an MMC loses any Mortar acquisiton it may have if it fires its inherent FP
-a wreck or vehicle is not a hindrance unless the shooter has a LOS to the center dot of that wreck or vehicle's hex
-a Gun or Vehicle can change its CA at the end of any friendly fire phase, as long as it still has some eligible shot left to justify it
-an AFV in Motion never holds an infantry unit in Melee, but a stationary AFV does
-squad spraying fire has a maximum 3-hex range

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I seem to forget weather SSRs like mist or dawn/dusk hindrances. The board looks like a regular old board so it's hard for me to visualize; I somehow remember the hindrances for my opponent's TH/IFT DRs(right SeabeeMark. . .)so it's some psychological thing.

Alan

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Rather than a rule, I too often forget to take notice of the coloured die, to see if ROF is maintained... Usually because dice are quickly rolled for MCs and PTCs... When I want to know if ROF is maintained, it is too late. :crosseye:

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Terrain changes. Including snow and mud. Even when playing VASL! Alpine hills are also a particular problem, but pine woods are generally OK for some weird reason.

Resid being reduced for hexside TEM.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Remembering to watch for sniper activation as well as ELR (for both my opponent and I) though I don't miss these nearly as much now as I did earlier in my ASL "career". When it does happen, it seems to be when the action is tense and there are so many other things going on in the game.

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Robin said:
Rather than a rule, I too often forget to take notice of the coloured die, to see if ROF is maintained... Usually because dice are quickly rolled for MCs and PTCs... When I want to know if ROF is maintained, it is too late. :crosseye:
ROF was hard to remember for awhile -- especially since people tend to pick up their dice quickly. Our group got into the habit of announcing "Rate" aloud right after the dice settled, followed by "Sniper" if so indicated. It really helped. Of course with VASL you just scroll up. :)

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
forget VCs? Oh, yeah, Reepicheep's got an easy victory because I overlooked the word "immediately" in the VCs. [He would have won anyway, but it woulda cost him!. . .] ;)

and this just happened 15 minutes ago: mol-p. must fire at beginning of DFPh if you want to use them in DFF because they leave Smoke. :(

Alan