Rules Clarified at Winter Offensive

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Broken Green Squad in the street, disrupted, and DM but not adjacent to a KEU.

A19.12 ... Disrupted infantry do not rout unless in an Open Ground (as per 10.531) or Water Obstacle hex (as per B21.43) or if the only armed enemy units ADJACENT are in-Melee/berserk/vehicular (20.21) and may not use Low Crawl [EXC: Night (E1.54)]. ...
and

A10.51 ... Upon reaching a building/ woods Location not ADJACENT to a Known enemy unit, a routing unit must stop and end its RtPh in that building/woods Location even if overstacked unless the unit can directly enter another building/woods Location in its next entered hex (not necessarily the same building or through a continuous woods hexside).

So the disrupted unit must stop in the first rally terrain reached. Verbal Perry Sez.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Broken Green Squad in the street, disrupted, and DM but not adjacent to a KEU.

and

So the disrupted unit must stop in the first rally terrain reached. Verbal Perry Sez.
Hear-say is OK for some but usually a change/clarification requires hard copy to be inclusive as an actual change.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Asked a couple of players -- in measuring VBM in a hex, is the counter on the line or adjacent to the line. Got different answers.

Perry said we have to see green on both sides of the counter. I think many players play that wrong.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hear-say is OK for some but usually a change/clarification requires hard copy to be inclusive as an actual change.
A disrupted unit in OG and normal range must rout per 10.51 and 19.12. Going further than the rout destination is an exception to the routing rule. The disrupted unit cannot take advantage of the exception because it is not part of the mandatory rout under 10.51 as an exception to the general rule of no rout under 19.12. Not a rule change, just a rule enforcement.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A disrupted unit in OG and normal range must rout per 10.51 and 19.12. Going further than the rout destination is an exception to the routing rule. The disrupted unit cannot take advantage of the exception because it is not part of the mandatory rout under 10.51 as an exception to the general rule of no rout under 19.12. Not a rule change, just a rule enforcement.
I do not believe it's an exception as noted by A10.51 in your initial post, it may continue to rout if MF available and if entering another building/woods as stated. What your post seems to imply is that regardless of the rout MF remaining or terrain availability for rout purposes, a disrupted unit must stop in the first building/woods location (assuming it meets all other rout requirements) regardless. Nice to know what Perry's mind set may be at the moment, but I'll await a hard copy response.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not believe it's an exception as noted by A10.51 in your initial post, it may continue to rout if MF available and if entering another building/woods as stated. What your post seems to imply is that regardless of the rout MF remaining or terrain availability for rout purposes, a disrupted unit must stop in the first building/woods location (assuming it meets all other rout requirements) regardless. Nice to know what Perry's mind set may be at the moment, but I'll await a hard copy response.
When can a disrupted unit rout? When in OG. When can a disrupted unit not rout? When not in OG. Is continuing from building hex to building hex routing? If it is, the unit isn't in OG and that violates 19.12. So I think that stopping is consistent with 19.12. Hit the building/woods and stop routing.

The problem with this analysis is that it would stop a disrupted unit from routing beyond brush, orchard, or grain ... no longer in OG. It was a spur of the moment ruling while I interrupted a conversation so it isn't one of those where he thought about it for a considered length of time.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
... Nice to know what Perry's mind set may be at the moment, but I'll await a hard copy response.
There is already a Q&A that says that once a Disrupted unit is allowed to rout, it routs normally....

A19.12
A19.12 says “Disrupted infantry do not rout unless in an Open Ground (as per A10.531) or water obstacle hex...” If a disrupted
unit begins its rout in Open Ground (per A10.531 Interdiction), may the disrupted unit rout normally? Or must it stop in the first
hex it fails to meet the terms of A19.12 and stop routing immediately when not in an Open Ground hex and no longer subject to
interdiction?
A. Yes (just as if it begins its RtPh ADJACENT only to an AFV). No.

Jon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
There is already a Q&A that says that once a Disrupted unit is allowed to rout, it routs normally....

A19.12
A19.12 says “Disrupted infantry do not rout unless in an Open Ground (as per A10.531) or water obstacle hex...” If a disrupted
unit begins its rout in Open Ground (per A10.531 Interdiction), may the disrupted unit rout normally? Or must it stop in the first
hex it fails to meet the terms of A19.12 and stop routing immediately when not in an Open Ground hex and no longer subject to
interdiction?
And until errata is issued for A10.51 and/or A19.12, I believe the rules are in agreement with this Q&A above, not a quick verbal Perry Sez :)

Cheers
Jon

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

A19.12
interdiction?
So if I had pulled out my Q&A instead of pestering Perry, I would have gotten a different answer!