Rules Clarification

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi, I was hoping someone here could give me clarification about a couple of rules concerning Renaissance and also some OOB design questions.

- If a heavy cavalry unit charges a hex containing a unit in line and one in block is the cavalry charge modifier negated or not? The user manual isn't entirely clear on this.
- Can routed isolated cavalry units be eliminated by non-block infantry? Seems that this is a perfect chance for footmen to swarm in and finish off their mounted enemies.
- What does the 'fanatical' rating do? I mean, in what circumstances does it activate? Does it activate on rout tests, or rally tests or both?
- Is there any functional difference between Guard and Light units? IE, they can both fully breakdown into skirmishers. Does this label do anything else?

Now, some scenario design questions.

- Are the maps editable? If not, can we request a change?
- Can artillery be given armour/melee points? I know it can't attack, but it can defend.
- What formula was used to determine victory point values? Is it something you can tell us?
- Can infantry be given 'one-shot' or 'set-up needed' weapons?
- Is there a way to make 'High' walls passable, or is that hexside hard coded?

Thanks so much in advance!

hrik

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Cavalry still get the cavalry charge modifier if any unit - except skirmishers or guns - is stacked in the same hex as a unit in block formation.

Yes, routed and isolated cavalry units be eliminated by non-block infantry.

I believe the 'fanatical' rating helps with both rout and rally tests, although it may only help to prevent routing. But it won't improve combat efficiency by giving a melee or fire bonus.

I don't know of any functional difference between Guard and Light unit. However, it's possible that Guard units get a hard-coded melee bonus that I'm not aware of.

Maps cannot be edited. It may be possible to request changes via HPS support, although there would need to be a good reason to make any changes.

Artillery can be assigned armour/melee points. I haven't tested if this actually works though.

"C" quality infantry are worth 10pts. Then I added/deducted 2pts per quality level. Thus 12pts for B quality and 8pts for D quality. I also added 1pt for light infantry and certain weapon types and also added points for armour and melee bonuses, etc. I used a similar system for cavalry and guns. Take a look at one of the oob files and you'll be able to see how this was done.

'one-shot' or 'set-up needed' weapons can be assigned to infantry and cavalry units

High walls are hard coded

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thank you so much for answering! :)

I'm not bothered about requesting changes or anything, I was just curious.

So the best way to use block units is to break down arquebus units into skirmishers and stack them with the pikes to prevent cavalry getting a charge bonus?

hrik

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Yes, that's usually the best tactic. The arquebusiers would also be safe from cavalry if in difficult terrain or trenches.

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Do pikemen get that ability even if charged from the flank or rear? Or if they're disordered?

Can a unit ever become un-disordered if it's in rough terrain? So can a unit in line ever reform if it stays in a forest?

Thanks for your help!

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Can a unit ever become un-disordered if it's in rough terrain? So can a unit in line ever reform if it stays in a forest?
I'll let Rich address the initial part of your last question.

However this one, the answer is yes ( and yes) - the idea I think is that it takes a bit of lead time to get into good order within a forest (or rough, swamp, or if you move in line and get disrupted in a town or village, or trench -or any terrain that disrupts you.). So it is also possible to undisrupt mounted cavalry in the same manner.