Rulebook binding. Stood the test of time?

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any that went all the way a few years ago have tips? Mistakes?

Looking at doing the main rules in one, historical notes in another but maybe keeping HASL/TPP stuff in page protectors.

Leather bound? Stitched or glue? Has to withstand humidity as they will be in Singapore.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
My tattered first edition I gave to my son, I hope/think he still has it. My 2nd edition currently is in storage, but also every page is in page protectors along with the 600 to 1200 + scenarios (being in page protectors that is).

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Oh, I used white 3 ring binders for the rules (Chapter H got its own, a nice blue one), and all the scenarios have various 3 ring binder colors, mostly black, maroon, or some-such. I printed nifty? graphics on paper and slipped it in the front cover of the Rules.

Abe

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I’ve used slide bar binders for each seperate chapter and keep them in a magazine box. I just pull the chapter I need out when I need it.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I still have my original v1 rulebook, a couple of V2 but the up to date copy is in three, 3 ring binders all pages sleeved then there is the pocket version that goes all over the place and e copy also

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I had Staples office store do a large plastic spiral binding, the type w/heaps of holes. they have rebound it couple of times (10 yrs?) but only to add pages. I made a slightly oversized cover and back and they added a heavy lamination. pretty rugged, way lighter than my prev page protector setup, easy to use, looks good, easy to add stuff. the lamination cover cost way more than binding but they both have lasted. I think the binding was under 10 bucks. I wanted the pocket rule book, but as I age I think I need a large print edition

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I'm still in the dark ages. I just use those punch hole reinforcement sticky rings. No laminations or page protectors. Despite some smoke browning and a bit of skin oil, my RB stuff is still in pretty good condition with no tears.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I have every page in a page protector. All the rules go into 2 big binders. Chapter H goes into the 3rd binder.

+1 on this Jack!

I've got Chap A - G in one new 2nd Ed binder, all other rules in a second new 2nd Ed binder. Chap H is in an old 2nd Ed binder. All in page protectors.

I've also scanned each page at 600dpi on my work color printer/scanner. I then printed a copy on 32lb paper, and had spiral bound at Staples. Bound as Chap A - D, Chap E - G & J, Chap H, all HASLs and Chap Z.

I've got the pocket edition ASLRB, but my 56-year-old, -10.5 nearsighted eyes just have too much trouble with it.

Cheers,

Mark

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've got the pocket edition ASLRB, but my 56-year-old, -10.5 nearsighted eyes just have too much trouble with it.

Cheers,

Mark

That is why i did not purchase it! too funny :)

To clarify, it sucks big time as I am 56 also.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Get and use an electronic rulebook.

I haven't opened my bound rulebook in a couple of years.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I almost always use an eASLRB. Besides that, I use a v2 as purchased (with updated pages). When the paper version is worn out, I buy a new one. Chapter H and all stuff beyond Chapter E are kept in a separate ASLRB binder. Then there's the Pocket ASLRB, too.

von Marwitz

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Leather bound? Stitched or glue? Has to withstand humidity as they will be in Singapore.
Modern synthetic binding glue should be OK against mold & moisture as long as you specify archival grade. Are the leather books on your shelf getting moldy? Ask the bookbinder if the quality of the paper used in the ASLRB is good enough to withstand stitching without tearing. But another factor is whether there is a wide enough margin to be stitched without having the text crammed into the gutter. Probably not.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I had a tattered 2E that I used for years (I have a backup copy). Same binder it came in. I just did not worry about it and used the hell out of it. Page protectors add too much bulk. Then I made a color copy of the RB and sprial bound it. Love it. BUT then the pocket RB came out, and I love it more......... While I use the eASLRB when playing VASSAL I tend to use pocket RB ace to face. I like real books......

Peace

Roger

g_young

Reaction score
I had a 1st edition that I bound myself. Lasted pretty well, solid. When I got a new 2nd ed, I made a b/w copy of it, spiral bound it (too much trouble for inserting replacement pages otherwise). I made some heavy duty covers for it, but now it's pretty page worn. Lots of leafing through!

My first ed lives on, however, as I cut the colourful pics out and glued them into my 2ED play copy.

All in all, the play copy consists of 3 books. A-E, F-J, Armoury.

The original sits pristine in page protectors.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Page protectors and binders, but I don't use the hardcopy anymore; I use an eASLRB.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had Staples office store do a large plastic spiral binding, the type w/heaps of holes. they have rebound it couple of times (10 yrs?) but only to add pages. I made a slightly oversized cover and back and they added a heavy lamination. pretty rugged, way lighter than my prev page protector setup, easy to use, looks good, easy to add stuff. the lamination cover cost way more than binding but they both have lasted. I think the binding was under 10 bucks. I wanted the pocket rule book, but as I age I think I need a large print edition
This is the way to go. I've never regretted this. It's so much easier to incorporate new pages.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any that went all the way a few years ago have tips? Mistakes?

Looking at doing the main rules in one, historical notes in another but maybe keeping HASL/TPP stuff in page protectors.

You don't need leather bound--library binding is actually better, though leather bound is not bad. Stitched is better than glue. My bound rulebooks have really stood the test of time and the test of wear and tear extraordinarily well. A really good decision on my part, if i do say so myself.