RPT 150 Diggers at Chongju

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ron Duenskie and I played RPT150 Diggers at Chongju today. It took an hour to set up (digging out counters and re-reading Korea rules) and four hours to play. We both liked it. Extra Korean rules are minimal and pretty simple.

It has ten squads and three dug in T34’s vs 16 458s and 5 Shermans. The aussies have a strong force but not much time to kick the NK’s off two level 4 hills and kill the T34’s. Since all the tanks have good TK#’s relative to armor, getting the first shot is critical.

I put the tanks and all but 1.5 SE of the defenders on one hill, with the tanks in reverse slope. Ron rolled over the infantry, but it took time. My reinforcing SU-76 died to a sneaky LOS. In the end my tanks won the tank battle and Ron ran out of time to get them with the baz 50’s. We both would play it again. Good scenario and well balanced.

Paul

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One unusual aspect of the game is that the Shermans have unlimited APCR. Ron didn't like that though, he'd rather have something like APCR 8 in order to have a second shot after a bad first roll.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Not sure i can agree, as the Sherman would be left with AP, which is a tad weak against a T34. I prefer to go to war with a fully-stocked APCR rack. :)
Isn't the scenario a bit static for the defender? Not played it, but the attacker seems to have all the fun.

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
George,

Good point on the APCR. Against the T34/85 front armor the Sherman's AP would only have a 6 TK. Not so great.

I do think this requires some serious thought by the defender in setup, some skill in defense in terms of when to skulk into reverse slope, when to drop concealment and shoot, and when to hunker down in the alamo and blast away. Also there's the SU-76 reinforcement which is probably best as a threat in being, but not so great once engaged against 76L APCR and BAZ 50's. True there's not much movement as the defender; but still quite interactive and tense during the Aussie player turn. As the defender myself, I'd say the fun factor is pretty good.

Paul

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
George,

Good point on the APCR. Against the T34/85 front armor the Sherman's AP would only have a 6 TK. Not so great.

I do think this requires some serious thought by the defender in setup, some skill in defense in terms of when to skulk into reverse slope, when to drop concealment and shoot, and when to hunker down in the alamo and blast away. Also there's the SU-76 reinforcement which is probably best as a threat in being, but not so great once engaged against 76L APCR and BAZ 50's. True there's not much movement as the defender; but still quite interactive and tense during the Aussie player turn. As the defender myself, I'd say the fun factor is pretty good.
Paul
Thanks for the extra comment, i put it on my play list.