RPG to MMORPG?

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have any of you moved into playing EQ or WOW or one of the other MMORPGs because you played D&D or Tunnels or Trolls or whatever?

Any of you playing DDO online? Is it any good?

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played Diablo II a bit, looked at EQ and finally liked WoW enough play online.

I left a WoW PVP server to go to a PVE server because it was more about Roleplaying in the WoW world than just kill, kill, kill "everybody." I got fed up with the constant "Duel" requests and being killed by wandering 60th lvl's (just because) every time I walked out of "safe" areas in the PVP.

At least on a PVE server you can actually do a "quest" and feel like you've accomplished something. Also the camaraderie is better between the characters on the PVE server.
Plus if you still want to PVP you can.

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm playing PVE...have done a couple duels..won 2 lost 1..system does not track honor points for me since I am PVE which I'm cool with...
It's a lot of fun to play...keeps me busy since my boardgame opponent just had his 5th child.....sigh.....

I played Diablo II a bit, looked at EQ and finally liked WoW enough play online.

I left a WoW PVP server to go to a PVE server because it was more about Roleplaying in the WoW world than just kill, kill, kill "everybody." I got fed up with the constant "Duel" requests and being killed by wandering 60th lvl's (just because) every time I walked out of "safe" areas in the PVP.

At least on a PVE server you can actually do a "quest" and feel like you've accomplished something. Also the camaraderie is better between the characters on the PVE server.
Plus if you still want to PVP you can.

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I played a lot of pen & paper RPGs so I moved to MMOs quite naturally, alhtough they have very little RPG in them, all they are about is xps and loot unfortunately.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have a long history of playing paper n pencil, zero history with computer based.

I LIKE going to a friend's house, or having company over though. It's a large part of the event.

I rarely am a master of a games total mechanics, but that's not important. The game is more a social experience.

I've watched friends play computer online games, and while this might annoy some, all the people I know that have played those games, have no life (often no job worth comment), or no female commitment or family.

I don't think that sums up the whole audience of these games though.

But contrast that with the fact that my paper n pencil crowd has myself (married with kids), two other couples (married with kids) one couple (no kids yet) one batchelor.

I can't be entirely faulted when I say, online computer rolegames only serve to remove you from real human interaction, with the lure of quick easy psuedo interaction. Chatting through your online game, is not enough.

On top of that, I have found paying for the use of a game monthly, is too much when I consider they look repeatitive too. I've never been able to distinguish low level games from high level games just to look at them.