Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

In the above image, imagine an American unit in hex O7. The American unit bypasses the black bar on the right side, in LOS of the Pz4, to enter O6. Hex P6 is an out-of-season orchard hex. I believe that the Pz4 must trace its LOS to the O6-O7-P6 vertex. I wondered if the hindrance at the vertex affects this shot.

My thought is that the hindrance has no effect on the shot; FFMO would apply when the Pz4 shoots at the American unit bypassing the black bar because the American unit is not on the vertex.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 18516

In the above image, imagine an American unit in hex O7. The American unit bypasses the black bar on the right side, in LOS of the Pz4, to enter O6. Hex P6 is an out-of-season orchard hex. I believe that the Pz4 must trace its LOS to the O6-O7-P7 vertex. I wondered if the hindrance at the vertex affects this shot.

My thought is that the hindrance has no effect on the shot; FFMO would apply when the Pz4 shoots at the American unit bypassing the black bar because the American unit is not on the vertex.
Looks like it misses the vertex to me. If I was asked to rule on it, I would rule as clear.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 18516

In the above image, imagine an American unit in hex O7. The American unit bypasses the black bar on the right side, in LOS of the Pz4, to enter O6. Hex P6 is an out-of-season orchard hex. I believe that the Pz4 must trace its LOS to the O6-O7-P7 vertex. I wondered if the hindrance at the vertex affects this shot.
I believe you meant O6-O7-P6 vertex. This question comes up a lot more frequently than you would think. The problem lays in a couple of rules, in particular B.6 and A6.7, and an lack of understanding that the unit MUST occupy a Location even when in bypass. The unit in question is IN O6. The LOF is measured to O6-O7-P6 vertex. Folks recall the P6 is inherent terrain and according to B.6, passing through--even merely touching the vertex--of an inherent terrain causes a +1 hindrance DRM. However, the unit is IN 06, not P6. The LOF is traced to O6. It's a concession to hex-grid movement that we just happen to measure the LOF this way but the unit (and therefor the LOF) does not enter P6. It becomes even more silly (and this is often the case we see posted here in questions) when the orchard in P6 is replaced with SMOKE. A unit bypassing as you suggested would bypass for 1--not paying the SMOKE MF cost--and then try to claim the +2 DRM. Instinctively, we know the unit is not in the SMOKE and the LOF is measured to O6. It's even more ridiculous if you imagine an OBA FFE here in Q6 (where the Acq is) and imagine the same bypass. The unit would claim to bypass free from OBA attack but insist on the +1 hinderance from the OBA stonk. This is the second time in as many weeks this similar question has come up.

I don't have the board out so I cannot measure the LOS, but keep in mind the A4.34 also allows you to measure LOS to the hex-dot against a unit using bypass as well as the verticies. This LOS here would be close to clear--if not clear-- and well inside the Orchard for the FFMO/FFNAM shot. -- jim

I struck this portion as I think this may not be "normal" bypass. As it's Rowhouse bypass, the bypass takes place in the Location you're leaving and not the second Location as in normal bypass. Were this normal bypass, I would leave this here. -- jim

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I went and dug up this too as I think this Q&A covers the exact situation you have here. I recall this one happened at Bitter Ender and was asked after the tournament. -- jim

Perry Sez said:
A4.34, B.6, C.5B, & C.5C
A unit in 62N8 (level -1) wants to bypass the Lt Jungle hex in 62M9 (level -1) along the M8/M9 hexside. There is a Palm tree location in 62M8 (level -1) and another Lt Jungle Hex in 62N8. An enemy unit fires from 62P6 (level 0) tracing LOS to the M9/N8/M8 vertex. The LOS passes through the Open Ground portion of 62N8 but does not pass through M8. Would the LOS be blocked by the inherent Palm trees in 62M8? The larger question would be, when tracing LOS to a vertex made up of a target hex w/out inherent terrain and other hexes w/ inherent terrain, must the LOS pass through the actual hex w/the inherent terrain to be affected by it?

A. The LOS is not blocked. Generally speaking, The LOS must cross the hex (including hexside) to be affected.