Routing unit in open ground. Ignored hexes?

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
Hi!
This German broken unit starts the RTPh in an open ground hex (OO20) in the LOS of that Russian 5-2-7 (I have taken away the DM marker to make things easier to see). Now, initially, the routing destination would have to be PP19 (the building with the green dot), since it is the nearest building/woods hex in MFs (2MFs). But since this building is not further from the KEU in PP21 (the Russian unit):
-A. Can this building hex be ignored?
-B. It cannot be ignored since it is the closest in MFs.

If A is the case and the German player chooses to ignore the building, then, the routing unit would have to look for a new destination. In this case, it would be the rubble in MM21 (with the pink dot) which is 4 MFs away. Now in this situation:

-1. Can the German unit decide to low crawl in the direction of the rubble into NN20?

Thanks in advance for your help.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yes, PP19 can be ignored. Normally though Rubble isn't rout terrain, but perhaps it is in the scenario, and yes it could LC to NN20.
It could also use normal rout to NN19->MM20->MM21 - that takes it three hexes away from the 5-2-7.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Of course NN19-MM20-MM21 is an illegal route, since MM21 is closer to the enemy than MM20. And I don't think it makes it legal to rout with this route initially, and change the target to LL20 (not the closest in MF).

I think the options would be to rout to PP19, or Low Crawl to NN20 (perhaps LC to NN19 is also legal?), or rout NN20-MM20 but with Interdiction in NN20 (not what I would choose with 4ML).

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
Yes, PP19 can be ignored. Normally though Rubble isn't rout terrain, but perhaps it is in the scenario, and yes it could LC to NN20.
It could also use normal rout to NN19->MM20->MM21 - that takes it three hexes away from the 5-2-7.
Sorry I didn't explain it's a scenario from Scherer, and so, rubble are also rout terrain. Thanks.

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
Of course NN19-MM20-MM21 is an illegal route, since MM21 is closer to the enemy than MM20. And I don't think it makes it legal to rout with this route initially, and change the target to LL20 (not the closest in MF).

I think the options would be to rout to PP19, or Low Crawl to NN20 (perhaps LC to NN19 is also legal?), or rout NN20-MM20 but with Interdiction in NN20 (not what I would choose with 4ML).
But MM21 is not closer to the 5-2-7 than MM20, both are 3 hexes away, so as Klas has pointed out, they could rout using that path avoiding interdiction.
Thanks to all of you.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
OK, it appears my brain got disconnected for a brief moment, and I failed to correctly count to 3. Really sorry.