Routing unit concealment drop

buser333

Reaction score
Is routing like the MPh in the sense that once a unit says it is done moving it is done moving? For instance, say a unit routs, says it is done, and then an ADJ enemy unit (previously HIP) comes onboard and drops concealment to force elimination. Would this be the sequence? Or could the routing unit continue its rout if it has MF remaining?

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
. At the start of its RtPh, a routing unit must designate its destination and must attempt to reach it during that RtPh [EXC: if using Low Crawl]. If a newly-Known enemy unit prevents this, a new destination is re-figured from that point. Upon reaching a building/ woods Location not ADJACENT to a Known enemy unit, a routing unit must stop and end its RtPh in that building/woods Location even if overstacked unless the unit can directly enter another building/woods Location in its next entered hex (not necessarily the same building or through a continuous woods hexside).

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Assuming the broken unit doesn't attempt to enter the enemy's location, the enemy has the option to reveal at any point during the turn - including immediately after the friendly says its rout is over:

A12.14 The owning player can voluntarily remove any concealment at any time during his or his opponent's Player Turn [EXC: between when a Sniper target hex Random Location DR (14.2) is made and the Sniper counter is relocated].
Note, however:

A12.31...A revealed hidden unit is totally discovered; it is not placed on board beneath a "?" unless specifically stated by a rule covering that particular situation (e.g., 11.19, 12.15, .152, .153, .32, .34)
This is not one of the "particular situations.":cool:

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Assuming the broken unit doesn't attempt to enter the enemy's location, the enemy has the option to reveal at any point during the turn - including immediately after the friendly says its rout is over:

A12.14 The owning player can voluntarily remove any concealment at any time during his or his opponent's Player Turn [EXC: between when a Sniper target hex Random Location DR (14.2) is made and the Sniper counter is relocated].​
You didn't really answer the question though. The question is, can the unit continue to rout.

I believe the sequence is, if you reveal before he ends his rout, he has to continue to rout, if possible, because the destination is no longer a legal rout target. And if you wait until after the rout is done, I believe it's too late to eliminate him. He just stays DM and will be forced to rout again next rout phase. Like advancing next to a DM unit that just finished routing.

buser333

Reaction score
You didn't really answer the question though. The question is, can the unit continue to rout.

I believe the sequence is, if you reveal before he ends his rout, he has to continue to rout, if possible, because the destination is no longer a legal rout target. And if you wait until after the rout is done, I believe it's too late to eliminate him. He just stays DM and will be forced to rout again next rout phase. Like advancing next to a DM unit that just finished routing.
Yeah, this sounds right and very familiar. Brain fart.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
... Despite all of the above, declaring the rout over would mean that the routing unit has fulfilled its obligation. It would not be eliminated due to failure to rout.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States

Sorry Clubby! I took way too long to get all my thoughts in order!

buser333

Reaction score
I am guessing, more often than not, a routing unit with MF remaining will end up eliminated if a HIP unit pops up unconcealed because the unit probably can't go back where it was (most likely moving closer to a previously known enemy) and probably can't continue forward due to very possible movement ADJ to this newly known unit.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am guessing, more often than not, a routing unit with MF remaining will end up eliminated if a HIP unit pops up unconcealed because the unit probably can't go back where it was (most likely moving closer to a previously known enemy) and probably can't continue forward due to very possible movement ADJ to this newly known unit.
Yeah, this is one of those times you're going to want to wish for an upstairs. :D