Routing through Rice Paddies

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
How do units Rout through Rice Paddies?
Can I Rout Bank-to-Bank without Interdiction? Since moving on Banks is Hazardous Movement I think INTERDICTION applies.
Can I Rout Paddy to Paddy without Interdiction? Since one MF expenditure gets you INTO the Paddy I think INTERDICTION does NOT apply. Kind of like using Foxholes to Rout away.

The rules only say Banks can be used for Routing.
8.21 BANKS Unless otherwise prohibited (see 8.2 and 8.211-.2112), such units may move (/rout/advance/Withdraw-from-CC if Infantry) in any (combination) of the following ways:................
8.2111 INFANTRY: Each Infantry unit above a Bank counter is subject to Hazardous Movement penalties

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hazardous Movement has no effect on Interdiction or routing.

The answer has many parts depending on the Season, etc.
Units on the Banks are usually in OG and therefore can be Interdicted.
If the Rice Paddies are Drained or Irrigrated, then the routing unit is usually in OG unless it can claim the Bank TEM.
See the Ex after G8.3 for more details.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is in question is what if one has to rout over the bank into the next paddy, thus avoiding interdiction in the adjacent hex. The rules are silent as to if that is similar to a unit routing into a foxhole/trench in OG or out of one to a non-OG terrain hex and thus avoiding interdiction (B27.41) as it is considered a combined move during routing (e.g. a foxhole or trench does not create a separate Location within the hex); or if one actually routs onto the bank incurring interdiction and then to the paddy (e.g 2 separate MP, for rout, expenditures), however also being that the paddy bank does not create a separate location within the hex (G8.21). As it stands without a further clarification, I believe the second interpretation is correct.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Assuming no HA.......yes Bank TEM applies and IN-THE-PADDY would not be OG.
The example only talks about Fire Attacks.
The rules clearly say it is combined MF to cross Banks into the Paddy which is why I think the Routing would be similar to FoxHole routing.
The only reason I would use BANKS to Rout is get to the Rout Destination faster.
I think Banks is ALWAYS OG. Maybe if Rice were at a higher level?
Yes, Hazardous Movement is only for movement but I was just using this as a clue about Routing on Banks.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Haz Mov has zero impact for routing purposes.

8.2102 If the unit is currently IN a paddy or in a non-paddy hex, it may enter
directly INTO an adjacent paddy hex. The normal cost for this is one MF/MP
[EXC: three MP for a cycle] if crossing a bank hexside plus the IN-hex COT
(8.2) of that hex.
Sort of like crossing a wall/hedge

A bank hexside cannot confer HD/Wall-Advantage status. The interior
of a paddy hex is Open Ground (thus allowing FFMO/Interdiction) if
its bank-hexside TEM is zero [EXC: if In-Season, its interior is grain; 8.13].
A Bank counter is Open Ground even if the paddies are In-Season.

Mind you if you are IN a paddy, you calculate the distance to your destination via being ON a BANK counter as that reduces the MF to run to cover.
Now if you are within MF to enter the Routing destination (closest in MF) you could use the "cover" of being IN the paddy to make it there. or LC.