Routing question

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've been playing this game for 14 years nearly and I've just realised I still don't understand the rout rules....

One of my broken squads is ADJACENT to a known enemy squad at the start of the rout phase.

The nearest rout target is a woods hex, 3MF and two hexes away. The intervening hex is open ground and would result in interdiction.

There is another woods hex in a slightly different direction which is three hexes and 6MF away. The two intervening hexes are brush.

Both potential destinations are further away from a KEU thanot the starting hex.

I played it that my boy surrendered as he had to rout to the closer woods (and of course he got no quartered). Reading the rules sInce I can't find any way out of it....but damn it feels wrong. If the first wood ex didn't exist and was open ground e.t. c I could have routed to the other one.

Was there any way my boys could have survived?

buser333

Reaction score
I've been playing this game for 14 years nearly and I've just realised I still don't understand the rout rules....

One of my broken squads is ADJACENT to a known enemy squad at the start of the rout phase.

The nearest rout target is a woods hex, 3MF and two hexes away. The intervening hex is open ground and would result in interdiction.

There is another woods hex in a slightly different direction which is three hexes and 6MF away. The two intervening hexes are brush.

Both potential destinations are further away from a KEU thanot the starting hex.

I played it that my boy surrendered as he had to rout to the closer woods (and of course he got no quartered). Reading the rules sInce I can't find any way out of it....but damn it feels wrong. If the first wood ex didn't exist and was open ground e.t. c I could have routed to the other one.

Was there any way my boys could have survived?
Only if they could rout to the hex 3MF away without going through OG. They do not necessarily have to take the shortest route, but do need to declare that their destination and, of course, cannot move away and then closer again to a KEU. This is also assuming NQ is not in effect, in which case they could low crawl.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The unit surrenders. The second hex was not a legal rout target for this rout. What might be confusing is that if the unit had a legal rout target that it ignored (e.g. an upstairs location in a building or a target that was equidistant to the unit at start) then it can accept the interdiction. But it can't accept interdiction because there are hexes that are not legal rout targets for this particular rout.

JR

Aavar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You can route away taking interdiction in the OG hex or Low crawl to the OG hex there, as there are legal hexes you can route to that are not subject to interdiction rule A20.21 ie the brush hex

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You can route away taking interdiction in the OG hex or Low crawl to the OG hex there, as there are legal hexes you can route to that are not subject to interdiction rule A20.21 ie the brush hex
You can't rout to the brush hexes as they are not legal rout targets nor on the path to a legal rout target, from my understanding of the original question. By the premise of the question, the only legal rout target is a woods hex which is three MF away and would require interdiction. If that woods hex is ignorable or if there is a longer-but-still-legal-and-without-interdiction path to that woods hex, then the broken unit would not surrender, but the original post did not indicate that there was such.

JR

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I vaguely recall a detailed article regarding routing which was published in one of the journals or annuals. I've been meaning to refresh my memory on these rules as I'm sure I may have been erroneous in some of my rout path movements.

What was the name of that article?

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Routing unit was in 46X2 with KEU in 46Y3.

My understanding is that the brokie HAS to rout to 46X0 as it is the closest non ignorable woods hex. Even though 46V0 is within 6MF, the brokie does not have the option of routing there and MUST go for 46X0. As this will involve interdiction, even if attempting to rout to 46X0 in a longer pathway, surrender results.

There needs to be a routing flowchart!