Routing Out of a Building

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The exception in A10.51 says “A broken unit in a building need not consider a hex of the same building in which it begins the RtPh as its closest building hex if it prefers to rout out of that building altogether and toward another building/woods hex…”

Further on it says “If no non-ignorable building/woods Location can be reached during that RtPh, a broken unit may rout to any terrain hex consistent with the above restrictions and need not rout toward the nearest woods/building Location.”

Can a broken unit choose to rout out of a building knowing that it cannot reach any other building or woods and therefore route to wherever it wants?

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the building a unit starts a rout in is an ingnorable building because -- as a destination it is no further from enemies than the original hex, after all it IS the original hex... so I think your second paragraph ... "if no non-ignorable..." applies. So yes a unit can free rout out of a perfectly good building hex to where ever if it has no reachable destination. That's my opinion, I don't pretend to speak authoritatively, just opinionatedly. I'm here for the education :).

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You can leave the buikding you're in but can't do the same with a patch of woods.

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Correct
You can ignore buildings, even the building you start in and ALL of the locations in that building if you wanna get away
But you can't ignore a woods in the same way UNLESS it is taken you NO FURTHER AWAY than a known enemy unit

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The exception in A10.51 says “A broken unit in a building need not consider a hex of the same building in which it begins the RtPh as its closest building hex if it prefers to rout out of that building altogether and toward another building/woods hex…”

Further on it says “If no non-ignorable building/woods Location can be reached during that RtPh, a broken unit may rout to any terrain hex consistent with the above restrictions and need not rout toward the nearest woods/building Location.”

Can a broken unit choose to rout out of a building knowing that it cannot reach any other building or woods and therefore rout to wherever it wants?
I believe the rule is generally played that way. The exception is the last paragraph that discusses rout in terms of reaching a woods/building. Up to that point all A10.51 is written as if the unit is going to reach a woods/building. The second quote is from the next paragraph, and it introduces the idea that the routing unit might not reach a woods/building after all. I believe that applies to the EXC as well as the other rules. You might ask for a clarification, as it is not 100% clear that the later paragraph overrides the first quoted sentence, but I think it does.

JR

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You might ask for a clarification, as it is not 100% clear that the later paragraph overrides the first quoted sentence, but I think it does.
I believe that clarification already exists in the RB's comprehensive rout example:

The broken squad in S3 must rout because of the ADJACENT unbroken KEU in S2. It can ignore S3 Level 1 as a rout destination because it can ignore Locations of the building it starts in (Rowhouse hexes are considered separate buildings for rout purposes [B23.71]). It can also ignore R3 and P2 as being equidistant from the KEU in R1. Able to ignore all rout destinations within 6 MF, the broken unit is free to rout anywhere it can legally reach on the board [10.51].
You can leave the building you're in but can't do the same with a patch of woods.
Here's a different clarification in case it wasn't apparent to Brave Dave. A "patch" of woods refers to a multihex woods. The single start hex woods hex is (imo) ignorable as a destination because "equidistant." So, a unit in a single isolated hex of woods could rout out of that start hex (including over open ground) to a legal destination. But if a unit decides to rout out of an initial woods hex that's part of a big multihex woods -- the rest of those woods are non-ignorable. It would have to declare the nearest reachable legal destination (in this case no doubt an adjacent woods location) its destination. However... When it reaches that destination it would have the option of continuing the rout thru otherwise legal adjacent woods/building locations as long as it has the MF to enter them.