Routing in Trenches

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

This from board nine, if a unit becomes DM in K5 can it route to L4 and stop? The only enemy LOS to K5 hill is from K6.

Keith

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ktodd said:
This from board nine, if a unit becomes DM in K5 can it route to L4 and stop? The only enemy LOS to K5 hill is from K6.
Yes by using Low Crawl. I suspect, however, that you are asking can it refuse to rout to M4 (i.e. ignore the low crawl option). If it did not use Low Crawl, then it would have to move to M4. Except when using low crawl, a unit must attempt to reach a woods/building if it can reach it within one RtPh (with a couple of caveats IIRC that do not apply here).

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Brian,

So using Low Crawl is not an option because I can make M4? I guess I need to know if the rules allow Low Crawl to be used optionally.

Keith

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Using Low Crawl is always an option (assuming it gets you away from ADAJCENT enemy units).
What Brian meant is that if you did not use Low Crawl (which you could not if you had to rout two hexes to reach the Trench), then you had to continue to the woods hex.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks guys, much appreciated. One more question, if the unit does low crawl into the next trench, does it lose its DM in the next rally phase?

Keith

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Yes, it must remove its DM:

A10.62 said:
...remove it at the end of every RPh [EXC: A unit may opt to retain its DM status provided it is not in a woods/building/pillbox/trench...
So, trench is one of the terrain types where it cannot even opt to retain DM.