Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Not trying to contest the answers of the rule gurus around, but I need to understand :
  • A10.5 says that broken unit cannot have more than 6 MF
  • Low Crawl speaks of "the entire MF allotment" of the broken unit, not more than its MF allotment
So how can a broken unit spend 8 MF to Low Crawl?
8 MF are not "the entire MF allotment" of the broken unit (which is 6 MF).

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Then, is possible to expend more than 6MFs to enter and ADJACENT location by using LC? I mean, Is LC considered a kind of MINIMUN MOVE?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
That is how I've understood it and I believe this Q&A supports that:

A10.52
Does the Low Crawl rule allow a wounded SMC having 3MF to rout into a hex that requires, in the movement phase, more than 3MF?
A. Yes. {1}

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is how I've understood it and I believe this Q&A supports that:

A10.52
Does the Low Crawl rule allow a wounded SMC having 3MF to rout into a hex that requires, in the movement phase, more than 3MF?
A. Yes. {1}
This is only a letter answer and has never been adopted as an official response in any Annual, Journal or other "Official" AH/MMP publication. A reading of the rules (including that for wounded personnel) leaves me agreeing with Swiftandsure on this one. I don't see how any other interpretation could be possible.:unsure:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Low crawl takes all of a unit's MF allotment (and no more), regardless of what would be the cost ordinarily. If during the MPh a certain move would take twelve MF (e.g. up a double crest, across a wall into rubble at night in rain), a unit using low crawl will "expend" only its MF allotment, whether that be three or six MF. Because it expends its MF allotment to make a Low Crawl, it does not exceed its MF allotment.

JR

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reading this thread makes my head hurt. I think I'll go have a couple of beers and then I'll probably end up low crawling my way to bed (using all my MF allotment in the process).

Seriously, very educational, and how does anyone ever play a "clean" (from a rules adherence perspective) game of ASL?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Low crawl takes all of a unit's MF allotment (and no more), regardless of what would be the cost ordinarily.
Sorry, but I am not convinced.
A10.52 "Low Crawl is a rout of one Location which requires the entire MF allotment of the routing unit" can be understood as :
  • a rout which requires the entire MF allotment of the routing unit - which leads to your interpretation
  • or a Location which requires the entire MF allotment of the routing unit - which leads to my reading
You (and Klas and others sharing your interpretation) may be right - a high probability - but I don't find that my reading is erroneous per se.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Seriously, very educational, and how does anyone ever play a "clean" (from a rules adherence perspective) game of ASL?
I don't think that this happens.
Not only by misreading the rule, but by forgetting to apply this or that aspect.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Reading this thread makes my head hurt. I think I'll go have a couple of beers and then I'll probably end up low crawling my way to bed (using all my MF allotment in the process).

Saying always ok to your opponent rules view... I try that also with my wife

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually the entire first sentence of Low Crawl is quite confusing,"Low Crawl is a rout of one Location which requires the entire MF allotment of the routing unit (but is still considered a form of Assault Movement should the routing unit enter a FFE Blast Area).". Not only is the first part of the sentence open to several interpretations but the portion of the sentence enclosed in parenthesis is totally superfluous. A routing unit would never be subject to any movement modifiers entering an FFE blast area in any form anyway and would just be attacked by it for entering an FFE location in the first place (C1.51) "...FFMO/ FFNAM can apply during the MPh (only); ...".:rolleyes::unsure:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Learn something new every day with ASL! :)
That said, most of the time, I avoided to go through a FFE with my routing units, which can ignore the FFE.
A10.51 ... A routing unit can rout into/out of/within a known minefield or FFE at its option, but is not forced to do so merely to reach the closest woods/building hex.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Learn something new every day with ASL! :)
That said, most of the time, I avoided to go through a FFE with my routing units, which can ignore the FFE.
It does help somewhat when routing thru buildings though (e.g. RB, RO, etc) where the broken unit is caught in an FFE situation.