Routing from a Bunker

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, can a unit rout out of a bunker,( into a trench), with an enemy unit in the same hex? Both were in melee the prior player turn, with no effect to either side. Fire from outside the hex broke the bunker occupants, but the enemy outside the bunker were fine.
My initial thought was that they were still stuck in melee, but after re-reading the bunker rules, I’m not so sure.

FourDeuceMF

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the only way you can enter/exit a Bunker/PB if there is enemy in the same hex is via a Tunnel.

I've been wrong before, though. ;-)

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
So, can a unit rout out of a bunker,( into a trench), with an enemy unit in the same hex? Both were in melee the prior player turn, with no effect to either side. Fire from outside the hex broke the bunker occupants, but the enemy outside the bunker were fine.
My initial thought was that they were still stuck in melee, but after re-reading the bunker rules, I’m not so sure.
I don’t think there is ever a melee between units inside a pillbox (or bunker in this case) and enemy units outside. Close combat may take place, but no melee happens. I would say they can rout away through the trench if all other conditions for the routing are met.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So, can a unit rout out of a bunker,( into a trench), with an enemy unit in the same hex?
No. Only via tunnel.

B30.6:
"A unit inside a pillbox may not move/rout/Withdraw-from-CC out of the pillbox if there is an enemy ground unit [EXC: Disrupted; subterranean; Unarmed; unarmored vehicle with no PRC] in the same hex; it can only advance out of the pillbox and must halt in the pillbox hex [EXC: MPh/RtPh exit via a tunnel; 8.61-.62]."

30.8 BUNKERS: A Pillbox counter in the same hex with a trench and/or in a hex Accessible to a Trench counter’s hex is considered a bunker. A bunker is treated as a pillbox in all respects except that a unit may move/rout/advance/Withdraw-from-CC between a bunker and such a trench as if the bunker were also a trench [EXC: the entry/exit restrictions given in 30.42, 30.44 and 30.6 still apply].