Routing at Night

agoldin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,
I'm writing to verify my understanding of rule #E1.54 Routing, which states:
"A broken unit does not rout normally at night, but instead, always uses Low Crawl and is never eliminated for Failure to Rout"
Does this mean a routing unit can rout ONLY one hex, or may it continue to rout if otherwise eligible by regular routing rules?
It seems like an otherwise eligible routing unit could or should be able to continue to rout, but a strict reading of that rule doesn't seem to allow it. What are the thoughts of the hive mind?

Thanks

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You may only rout one hex. Always uses Low Crawl. Further, you could end up routing the one hex, even if sandwiched between two ADJACENT units, or you could not Rout at all. You still cannot Rout towards a KEU but that is about it. This leads to a much higher rate of Broken units getting CCed at night.

agoldin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I suspected. Of course, I/we hadn't been playing it right to this point. Thanks for clarifying.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I suspected. Of course, I/we hadn't been playing it right to this point. Thanks for clarifying.
No worries. Enjoy. Night is a very different experience in ASL.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Have always played it that a unit needs to be under a DM counter to rout at night, but this section has given me pause.

1.54 ROUTING:
A broken unit does not rout normally at night, but instead, always uses Low Crawl and is never eliminated for Failure to Rout. A broken Inherent Crew still uses all of its RtPh to rout out of its vehicle into the same hex as per D5.311. A unit is captured or Surrenders at night only by CC or Mopping Up (even if Disrupted). A DM unit retains DM until its makes a Rally/Self-Rally Original DR ≤ its current printed morale. A broken unit may always Low Crawl during the RtPh (including out of enemy-occupied Locations, into marsh, while fording, and through tunnels) and does not have to Low Crawl towards any particular terrain type, but still may not rout toward a Known enemy unit.

Is the highlighted part suggesting that a broken unit can use low crawl even after removing its DM counter?

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that phrase in E1.54 only overrides the prohibitions against using Low Crawl in A10.52 -- "Low Crawl cannot be used to enter Marsh or a Water Obstacle, or in any stream unless dry. Low Crawl cannot be used to exit an enemy-occupied Location [EXC: Night (E1.54)].", B21.43, and any other similar rules. It doesn't change any other routing rules.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think that phrase in E1.54 only overrides the prohibitions against using Low Crawl in A10.52 -- "Low Crawl cannot be used to enter Marsh or a Water Obstacle, or in any stream unless dry. Low Crawl cannot be used to exit an enemy-occupied Location [EXC: Night (E1.54)].", B21.43, and any other similar rules. It doesn't change any other routing rules.
That makes sense. Thanks, Scott