Routing at night...... is there way to KILL the SOB

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
After thinking I had the night rout rules sorted ( as well as another gremlin) I just want to re check.

a) There is NO WAY that routing unit will "fail" a rout even adj to a KEU or/and move towards a KEU ( of 1 hex). They have to be KIA'd.

This is a purposely bear bones sentence b coz it captures what would otherwise be very wordy..

b) This has come a a few times and I get different answers...

Two broken units ( even under DM) end up adjacent ( not in GO)

Do they maintain DM/ remove DM ( still adjacent)

Thanks

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
a) There is no elimination for failure to rout at night. That means that broken units can stay next to unbroken units (or even in the same hex) and not be eliminated for failure to rout.

Units may still not rout (move) toward a KEU at night, nor can they move from ADJACENT to ADJACENT of the same KEU except to leave its location. This is a strict prohibition in the rules. It is not enforced by causing failure-to-rout elimination, so the fact that failure-to-rout elimination is n/a at night does not change this.

b) Broken units cause DM for broken enemy units that are adjacent, and vice versa [A10.62]. This applies both at night and during the day. Being adjacent to a broken enemy unit does not force rout but it makes rally harder because it has to be from under DM.

Broken units are harder to eliminate at night. At the same time they remain broken longer on average, so you have longer to do it.

JR

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Units may still not rout (move) toward a KEU at night, nor can they move from ADJACENT to ADJACENT of the same KEU except to leave its location....
I think the clarification on page E26 might have allows routing from ADJACENT to ADJACENT:

E1.54 A DM broken unit/stack wishing to rout at night may do so only by using Low Crawl [EXC: an Inherent crew abandoning its vehicle; see
E1.54]
. If marked with a No Move counter it may still Low Crawl (if otherwise able to), but must take its No Move counter with it. A unit/stack
routing (i.e., using Low Crawl) at night may do so ADJACENT to a Known enemy unit (provided it is not moving closer to that unit)
[p.E2690; An96;]

Though, this particular wording did not make it into the 2nd Edition. Or might have referred to a situation of routing from adjacent to ADJACENT.