Routing and FFE

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The broken Germans in factory hex H5 need to rout away from the Russian vehicular crew. They would prefer not to rout into F3 due to the presence of the FFE:C and, indeed, do not have to per A10.51-

"Assuming it can abide by the previous requirements, a routing unit must move to the nearest (in MF calculated at the start of its RtPh) building or woods hex (even if overstacked) unless that route is through/into a known minefield or FFE, or is not traversable (e.g., through a Blaze, unbridged Water Obstacle, Cliff, etc.). As long as it reaches that hex during a single RtPh, it need not use the shortest route, but as long as it follows the shortest path in MF otherwise, it may enter a shellhole/entrenchment/pillbox to avoid Interdiction even if it can no longer reach that woods/building hex in a single RtPh. A routing unit can rout into/out of/within a known minefield or FFE at its option, but is not forced to do so merely to reach the closest woods/building hex."

The question is whether it can rout across the street given that this would entail being interdicted by the Russian unit in H5.

Rule A20.21 says-

"Any broken Infantry unit during its RtPh that is both ADJACENT to Known, Good Order, armed enemy Infantry/Cavalry and unable to rout away from it or only able to rout while being subject to Interdiction or resorting to Low Crawl (regardless of how it actually routs or if the possible unconcealed Interdictor is Known to it), will surrender to that enemy unit as its prisoner instead..."

The logical answer here would be that the Germans have to rout to the nearest building despite the FFE because there is no alternate route that avoids interdiction. I'm not sure that this is in accordance with the rules as they are written though. The position is that the Germans are not "unable" to rout away without being subject to interdiction; they could choose to risk the FFE. Given that they are able to use this option if they choose, does this mean that they can rout into F4, whether by low crawl or otherwise?

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I understand what were your question, but there is a FFE hindrance that cancels interdiction at F4, isn’t it? Which small (and important) bit of the rules I miss?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You only need to have one route that is free of Interdiction to avoid Surrendering. You don't actually have to take the interdiction-free route.
In the example provided I do not see a viable rout path that would entail interdiction.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
My comment wasn't really in regards to the example, but of a "genaral" comment.