Rout question

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A brokie routs towards a concealed enemy unit in a two hex building.

In reaches the empty building hex in its 6th rout MP.

Can the concealed enemy unit now drop concealment and eliminate the brokie.

I think that it can drop concealment, but since the brokie's rout is over, it will not eliminate it.

Th

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reading the example for A10.533, it looks to me that if the concealed unit drops concealment before the next unit routs, or if that is the last rout of the RtPh, the broken unit will be eliminated for failure to rout. The example says - "The broken unit can even end its RtPh in H3 [ADJ to a concealed enemy] without being eliminated for Failure to Rout provided it does so before the German squad drops its concealment." The example then goes on to say "If the German squad drops its concealment before the next unit begins to rout or the end of the RtPh (whichever comes first), the broken unit would have to continue its rout to H2 [a hex not ADJ to the enemy unit] or be eliminated for Failure to Rout." My interpretation of the situation you describe is the broken unit is eliminated, unless that is not the last rout of the phase and the concealment is not dropped until then. It appears that timing is everything in this case. I suppose that the thing to do is make this rout one of the first and force the enemy to drop concealment before any other units rout. Once a unit ends its rout ADJ to an unknown enemy unit, and another unit routs, its too late to drop concealment and force the earlier routing unit to be eliminated for FTR. There are others with a greater grasp of this who may have a different take.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A brokie routs towards a concealed enemy unit in a two hex building.

In reaches the empty building hex in its 6th rout MP.

Can the concealed enemy unit now drop concealment and eliminate the brokie.

I think that it can drop concealment, but since the brokie's rout is over, it will not eliminate it.

Th
I think you and drop Concealment anytime. However, when this anytime is will have consequences on what happens:

If your unit is out of LOS to the broken unit in the building after the latter spent its 4th MF, you then drop Concealment, it will rout towards you unaware of your presence and spending its last two MF ending up ADJACENT to your now discovered unit, it is toast.

If your unit is in LOS to the brokie and you drop Concealment after its 4th MF spent, then it might be able to react and alter its Rout Path, possibly surviving.

If you drop Concealment after the brokie has spent its last MF, then its RtPh was over before your forfeiting of Concealment, therefore not violating any requirement with regard to its rout and it will not be eliminated. This situation is similar as if you would advance ADJACENT to an enemy brokie IMHO.

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If you drop Concealment after the brokie has spent its last MF, then its RtPh was over before your forfeiting of Concealment, therefore not violating any requirement with regard to its rout and it will not be eliminated. This situation is similar as if you would advance ADJACENT to an enemy brokie IMHO.
Is this part clear? Is the unit's RtPh over as soon as it expends its last MF?

With normal movement, the unit's MPh is not over immediately, or even immediately after all Defensive First Fire allowed by the last movement - you can still declare Late CX and move further.

Of course there's no similar possibility for routing units, but it's not immediately obvious to me that the opponent doesn't get a chance to drop concealment between the moment that the unit decides to rout adjacent and the end of its RtPh - unless there's a Q&A to this effect, or some point I missed in the rules (both of which are entirely possible).

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
10.5 ROUTING: During the RtPh a broken unit not in Melee may not remain in the same Open Ground hex in the Normal Range (10.532) and LOS of a Known non-Melee enemy unit/its-SW/Gun, nor—regardless of terrain—may it end a RtPh ADJACENT to or in the same Location with a Known enemy unit that is both unbroken and armed [EXC: Night; E1.54].

I think the broken unit is toast

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you and drop Concealment anytime. However, when this anytime is will have consequences on what happens:

If your unit is out of LOS to the broken unit in the building after the latter spent its 4th MF, you then drop Concealment, it will rout towards you unaware of your presence and spending its last two MF ending up ADJACENT to your now discovered unit, it is toast.

If your unit is in LOS to the brokie and you drop Concealment after its 4th MF spent, then it might be able to react and alter its Rout Path, possibly surviving.

von Marwitz
His Rout Phase isn't over until the routing player makes another routing unit's move (as noted by Juzek's post). That is a good reason not to make such a move at the end of the RtPh not when he expends its last MF in routing or when the player states his rout is completed. Note: in the case of at the end of the RtPh it is not a race to see if one can state his RtPh is finished before the other player can react; Tne routing player should pause (perhaps even ask) to see if the non-phasing player has any actions before he declares his RtPh over. The same principal applies to defensive fire vs a moving unit during the MPh.