Rout question

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

I have a unit under DM in an orchard hex all opposition units cannot interdict as they either have them or lv hinderances which mean the rout is not in open ground.

The unit cannot reach a building, woods in one rout movement but it wants to rout, as it has a legal path, in order to get out of LOS of all opposing units, however, this only requires the routing unit to rout using 3 mp’s - my question is if a unit routs but cannot reach a valid target hex in one go does it have to use all 6mp’s (or as many as possible) or can it use 3 and then stop routing.

Any help would be appreciated

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
If there is really no valid rout destination within 6MFs, then he does not need to expend all his MFs trying to reach anyplace. Second paragraph of A10.51:

If no non-ignorable building/woods Location can be reached during that RtPh, a broken unit may rout to any terrain hex consistent with the above restrictions and need not rout toward the nearest woods/building Location.
In other words, they are freed from requiring a specific destination, but not from the possibility of interdiction or requirements to maintain/increase distance from the enemy.

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the quick reply - there are no valid rout paths we are playing Pegasus bridge and on the le-port side of the map I have no building under my control and there are no woods near! So I just want to get out of LOS to stop my opponent firing on me and keeping me under DM

You have been a great help - thanks

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
FWIW, a building does not need to be "under your control" (not exactly sure what that means?) to be a rout target. Of course, if there are armed KEU in the building you cannot rout toward them.....just wanted to make the point about a perception that a rout target must be under some form of control.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FWIW, a building does not need to be "under your control" (not exactly sure what that means?)
Jazz - you're gonna lose a lot of scenarios if you don't get that figured out ;-)

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the clarification - I only train two buildings in le-port but they are both in between my unit and the enemy unit so can’t rout to them there are some woods hexes that I can get to by going in a large loop so that I don’t reduce the range to any of his units so that is my valid rout path, however, these are 20-30 hexes away.

I could stay where I am but he can fire on me , however if I rout two hexes a combination of hedges and the builds that I cannot rout to mean I am out of LOS and thus he can’t fire at me to keep DM giving me a better chance of rally.

So I think from what you are saying is that this is valid , I don’t have to use my full rout of I choose to rout I can you a portion of the rout and stop. I am still in orchards so in the next go I can opt not to rout as I am not in an open ground hex in range of a known armed enemy unit

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Jazz - you're gonna lose a lot of scenarios if you don't get that figured out ;-)
Jazz is a "natural" player. He never looks at the VC but just moves the units around like he thinks they should go. Then he waits for his stunned opponent to tell him he won. Which he nearly always does.

JR

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Jazz is a "natural" player. He never looks at the VC but just moves the units around like he thinks they should go. Then he waits for his stunned opponent to tell him he won. Which he nearly always does.

JR
Its a Zen thing.......I think.....

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To an outside observer, this is nearly indistinguishable from "not trying". But there is a difference. Ohhhh yes there is.

Gonna take MMP a while to issue errata to VCs so they read something like:
"To the extent that it fits within the parameters of Living One's Best Life, Being Excellent To Each Other, and Generally Groovin' On Dem Waves, the Germans win by eliminating 28CVP..."