Rout problems

GVL

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Thanks to all for the replies to the rout problems.
I do understand the rules now. I believe they are written in a difficult way to understand in the rulebook. I'm sure some one could write them in a much easier way to understand.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
GVL said:
I'm sure some one could write them in a much easier way to understand.
In the "full swing" rules, 2nd edition, ASL has a two page illustration, full of examples that help quite a lot.

Mechashef

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have also found the ASLSK rules to be poorly written. If you already know the rules, then the SK rules are clear. If you are using the SK to learn the rules, then they are awful.

Part of it may be an unrealistic expectation on behalf of the consumer (i.e. me). Most people probably expect a rulebook which puts things out clearly, not one in which you read a section and then have to meditate on it for a day in order to understand it.

However, I'm sure that some bits are just badly written. The section which describes what the underscore beneath the Morale value of a MMC is a good example. The information is in the SK, but you can spend ages trying to find it - On second thoughts, maybe the SK is brilliant. In one short text, it manages to provide the true feeling of the full rules - you spend ages looking for a rule you know is there somewhere :)

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
To be honest, it isn't the underline that we used to remember that 747s don't ELR. It was the chart on the back that showed that 747s have no where to go. Then you notice the underlined ML. Then you know what they mean by Morale (7/8; underline ELR NA) on page 2. :)

All seemed pretty clear to me, only SW and ROF were too "spread out" for us.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The question is not whether a grognard thinks the SK rules are clear or not. The question is wether the neophyte understands the rules contained in the SK module.

The fact that you have to contemplate the nuances of a rule shows the beauty of the system. ASL is a thinking person's game and the nuances take time to assimilate. :cheeky:

Mechashef

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I do agree that the ROF rules in the SK were difficult. The rules were there and made sense when you read them, but when you came to use them, there were many basic situations where the correct action was unclear.

Regarding the underscore beneath the Morale, it is explained (sort of) on page 2, but the QRDC refers you to section 5.1 without any other explanation, and section 5.1 (which covers ELR) doesn't explain it.

I do agree that part of the charm of ASL is that it is a "thinking person's game"

My friend and I are at the stage where the greatest satisfaction we get is if we believe we have played all the SK rules correctly - we get a sense of accomplishment. Who actually won is a minor point. If we were fixated on just winning, we would play a computer game where you don't need to understand the underlying rules, and where you can always reload to help you win.