Rout problems

GVL

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
What to do if a broken unit has to rout,but:

a) the nearest building or woodhex is not in LOS ( a hill between unit and building)?

b) the nearest building or woodhex is more than 6 MF away?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
GVL said:
What to do if a broken unit has to rout,but:

a) the nearest building or woodhex is not in LOS ( a hill between unit and building)?
LOS has nothing to do with the destination of rout in this case.

GVL said:
b) the nearest building or woodhex is more than 6 MF away?
You can rout to another terrain, consistent with the other conditions given by the rout rules...

And, try to rally quick : they're coming! they're com... aaargh!:surprise: :eek:

GVL

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Thank you for the fast reply, Robin

In case B : Can I choose the hex where I rout to?
E.g. : I could prefer an open ground hex instead of a brush hex.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
GVL said:
Normal : we both live in Western Europe (Americans usually are asleep at these hours!)
GVL said:
Yes, if the rules are otherwise respected (e.g. you may not remain in the same OG hex in LOS and normal range of Good Order Enemy, nor move towards an enemy the routing units knows, etc.)

I also see a "GVL" member of French 1664 ASL forum (it has just celebrated its first year of existence) at http://ns1.myphphost.net/~cote1664/forum/index.php
If you prefer to express yourself in la langue de Molière, you can find as much good answers and discussions there (I am the same "Robin" on both forums and do appreciate both)... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GVL

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Thank you twice, Robin.
Yes, I'm the same GVL.
Mais, je suis néerlandophone et je préfère le site en anglais. Il y a plus de monde.

Last edited:

Raider

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
GVL said:
Hi,
in ASLSK you're not allowed to rout into an Open Ground hex in the Normal Range and LOS of a Known Good Order enemy unit that would be able to interdict (except Law Crawl). {Page 7 3.6 RtPh}

Greets Robert

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Raider said:
in ASLSK you're not allowed to rout into an Open Ground hex in the Normal Range and LOS of a Known Good Order enemy unit that would be able to interdict (except Law Crawl). {Page 7 3.6 RtPh}
Not exactly.
You ARE allowed to rout in OG in Normal Range and LOS of KEU, but you suffer interdiction unless you use low crawl.

In ASL there are so many things you may or can do... but you must face the risk of punishment.:shock:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GVL said:
You cannot end your rout in an Open Ground (A10.531) hex within normal range and LOS of a known enemy unit unless you use Low Crawl (A10.5).

Raider

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Robin said:
Not exactly.
You ARE allowed to rout in OG in Normal Range and LOS of KEU, but you suffer interdiction unless you use low crawl.
Hi,
I did only answer for ASLSK, and there IMHO you don't tell any any different.

Greets Robert

Raider

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Brian W said:
You cannot end your rout in an Open Ground (A10.531) hex within normal range and LOS of a known enemy unit unless you use Low Crawl (A10.5).
Hi,
thats the exactly way I answered it for ASLSK. Thanks Brian.
Greets Robert

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Brian W said:
The rules underline you cannot enter OG (in LOS and normal range of Good Order enenmy)without being interdicted if you don't use low crawl - but nowhere is it said you cannot end your rout in such a hex.
They say that you cannot remain in such a hex, if you begin your rout phase in such one.
ASLSK is as clear as ASL.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Robin said:
The rules underline you cannot enter OG (in LOS and normal range of Good Order enenmy)without being interdicted if you don't use low crawl - but nowhere is it said you cannot end your rout in such a hex.
They say that you cannot remain in such a hex, if you begin your rout phase in such one.
ASLSK is as clear as ASL.
You may not end there (unless Low Crawling) if you have MF left. "A routing unit must move to the nearest (in MF) building or woods hex with 6 MF." It is not enough to simply move towards the nearest building or woods and then stop wherever you want. You have to either burn all your MF moving towards that target hex, or Low Crawl.

But I have the feeling everyone is answering slightly different questions. :)

>>a) the nearest building or woodhex is not in LOS ( a hill between unit and building)?

As was mentioned, doesn't matter.

>>b) the nearest building or woodhex is more than 6 MF away?

You have to use all your MF moving towards it. If you don't reach it and happen to end in OG, you are not eliminated (but you may be interdicted one or more times along the way :eek: ).

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
zgrose said:

You have to use all your MF moving towards it. If you don't reach it and happen to end in OG, you are not eliminated (but you may be interdicted one or more times along the way :eek: ).
Thanks zgrose!
That is exactly what I was trying to say - of course one may not stop in OG if one can reach a building or woods, but I was trying to answer the question asked...

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
zgrose said:

You have to use all your MF moving towards it.
No this is not correct. If you cannot reach a building/woods hex during the RtPh you can rout to any terrain per A10.51 (last paragraph).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Brian W said:
No this is not correct. If you cannot reach a building/woods hex during the RtPh you can rout to any terrain per A10.51 (last paragraph).
Please correct me if I am wrong :

- If it can reach a building/woods, a unit may not end its rout in Open Ground (EXC Low crawl) - nor in any other terrain
- If it cannot reach a building/woods (insufficient MF), it may stop in any terrain, even OG in LOS of KEU.
- Entering OG without using low crawl incurs possible Interdiction

Now, if a unit thought it could reach a building/woods (counting MFs and applying normal rout rules) but meets a problem during its rout that prevents it to reach the buildings/woods, I presume it may stop in any other terrain (and could also be eliminated for failure to tour if not able not to be adjacent to a KEU)?

GVL

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
GVL said:

This is strange. I have to reply to myself.
A brush hex is an open ground hex when there is no hindrance between the enemy and the brush hex. True or not true?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
GVL said:
This is strange. I have to reply to myself.
A brush hex is an open ground hex when there is no hindrance between the enemy and the brush hex. True or not true?
Not true, because FFMO does not apply for a unit in a brush hex.
Thus, you cannot be interdicted in a brush or in a in-season grain hex - even if there is no Hindrance applying...

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Brian W said:
I *think* they may be talking about the ASLSK. But I stand corrected if not.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Robin said:
Please correct me if I am wrong :

- If it can reach a building/woods, a unit may not end its rout in Open Ground (EXC Low crawl) - nor in any other terrain
Mostly correct, but with a few exceptions (this is ASL :confused:) like being allowed to rout around an FFE, or using shellhole/Entrenchment TEM to avoid Interdiction even if it means that the building/woods is not reached.

- If it cannot reach a building/woods (insufficient MF), it may stop in any terrain, even OG in LOS of KEU.
Correct, it doesn't even have to rout towards the nearest buildings/woods if unable to reach it.

- Entering OG without using low crawl incurs possible Interdiction
Correct. There are quite a few requirements for any possible Interdictor though.

Now, if a unit thought it could reach a building/woods (counting MFs and applying normal rout rules) but meets a problem during its rout that prevents it to reach the buildings/woods, I presume it may stop in any other terrain (and could also be eliminated for failure to tour if not able not to be adjacent to a KEU)?
When it meets the problem (an enemy unit that becomes known), it must calculate a new building/woods target. If unable to reach any, it is free to continue its rout to anywhere (but may also be eliminated).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thank you, Ole Boe.
I was asking myself if I was missing something...
Of course, in ASL, some questions are hard to answer (or to express), due to all the possible exceptions and circumstances. ;)
After years of gaming, I still have doubts and questions regarding rout - and need to go and stick my nose in the rules... :rolleyes: