Rout Path - Drives me Crazy!

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Arrggh ... sometimes how units decide to rout drives me crazy! Check out how the regiment below decides to rout:

Instead of simply moving into the woods behind my lines,disrupting another regiment or two in the process, he disrupts three regiments then changes direction, heading towards the Rebs! Net result - I can't move him (any movement is closer to enemy lines) so I have two choices:
  1. Leave him where he is, resulting in the capture of the entire regiment.
  2. Try to save him, risking my entire division.
In the end, the choice is simple. I'll have to sacrifice him, hoping to maybe only get a minor defeat (it's a small scenario so losing an entire 600+ man regiment is a big deal). To try to save him would be certain disaster.

So, why didn't he scurry into the woods like a good boy?

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Coaling said:
I suspect he made the dogleg because of the creek, eh?
Yeah, that's what I figured. And the algorithm for selecting the path must be the hex of least resistance and not the hex with the most cover. If it were me and I was running, I think I'd seek cover first!

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
I only add that I caused this havoc :D

Sometimes in all these small/medium games one action can decide the outcome. And generally nothing happen - Gen. Cleburne with 800+ men just knocked 35 Federals :laugh:

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Coaling said:
I suspect he made the dogleg because of the creek, eh?
I would say that he did it because he couldn't enter the woods -because of overstacking.
It was a large regiment and we can see other Federal units on the verge of the woods.
With stacking limit 1000 men maybe it was a case...

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alex Krolikowsk said:
I would say that he did it because he couldn't enter the woods -because of overstacking.
It was a large regiment and we can see other Federal units on the verge of the woods.
With stacking limit 1000 men maybe it was a case...
I thought that might be the case too. But the hex with the red pointed arrow (the artillery unit in the woods) only has 6 guns and a leader in it. I think the artillery counts as 25 men per gun so that would be 150 men. The routed unit has 624 men for a total of only 749 men. Is that right?

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
CyberRanger said:
I thought that might be the case too. But the hex with the red pointed arrow (the artillery unit in the woods) only has 6 guns and a leader in it. I think the artillery counts as 25 men per gun so that would be 150 men. The routed unit has 624 men for a total of only 749 men. Is that right?
In stackings 1 gun = 50 men so that would be 924 men (300 + 624) on this hex and routed unit should be able to pass through it.

Maybe a commander of this regiment was killed in volley and his boys lost an orientation completly...

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alex Krolikowsk said:
In stackings 1 gun = 50 men
Thanks for the clarification. End story = same story = Alex kicks my ass again! And just when I was closing in on Rich at the #2 spot!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In your case it is probably some weird anomoly making it rout that way. In my case it is usually because the Gods of Wargaming derive great pleasure in torturing me.