Rout out of Panjis

Hexagoner

Reaction score
A unit advances into a jungle location containing a HIP Panji counter across a covered hexside, The Panji is then revealed and they are placed above the panji counter. In the next fire phase, an adjacent HIP enemy unit reveals itself and fires at the unit above the panji counter. The unit above the panji counter breaks.

Can the broke unit first rout under the panji counter (still adjacent to known enemy unit), then rout away - or is eliminated for failure to rout?

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't see why not - it wouldn't be routing closer to said enemy unit.
I presume the issue is not moving closer but moving ADJACENT. Maybe there is something in the panji rules that affects adjacentcy but I would have thought a unit moving below a panji counter is moving ADJACENT to the KEU's Location.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I presume the issue is not moving closer but moving ADJACENT. Maybe there is something in the panji rules that affects adjacentcy but I would have thought a unit moving below a panji counter is moving ADJACENT to the KEU's Location.
If that were true, then one could not rout out of a Foxhole or beneath Wire if there is an enemy unit adjacent either.

But A10.51 says:
"...nor, if ADJACENT to a Known armed enemy unit, may it rout into another hex ADJACENT to that same enemy unit. ..."

In these cases one is routing in the same hex.

Hexagoner

Reaction score
I think the Panji rules say that the MF cost to move below Panji can't be combined with other costs. Not sure, but can routing out of FH be combined with next hex entry cost?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think the Panji rules say that the MF cost to move below Panji can't be combined with other costs. Not sure, but can routing out of FH be combined with next hex entry cost?
Yes it can - but it is still spent in the hex where the Foxhole is.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If that were true, then one could not rout out of a Foxhole or beneath Wire if there is an enemy unit adjacent either.

But A10.51 says:
"...nor, if ADJACENT to a Known armed enemy unit, may it rout into another hex ADJACENT to that same enemy unit. ..."

In these cases one is routing in the same hex.
I see that text from A10.51 but A10.51 also says separately "A routing unit may never move ADJACENT to a Known enemy unit, unless in doing so it is leaving that enemy unit's Location." No mention of "another hex" there.

The treatment of Wire is not useful here because there are explicit rules addressing a broken unit ADJACENT to a KEU routing beneath and then away from the KEU. B26.41. Applying the principle of higher order rules take precedence, this arguably supersedes A10.51.

But you inspired me to reread the panji rules. Maybe it too supersedes A10.51?:

G9.6. "A unit above a Panji counter may not directly exit that hex. It must first move/rout beneath that Panji counter as per 9.5, and then it may exit . . .."

Kind'a thin, but as intuitively panjis ought to be like Wire, I'm prepared to go with it.