Rout into a Cave Complex?

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
A DM Japanese unit routs into a cave that is connected to a Cave-Complex. Can it continue to rout into that Cave-Complex?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A DM Japanese unit routs into a cave that is connected to a Cave-Complex. Can it continue to rout into that Cave-Complex?
Not that phase. G11.74, "Infantry that enter a cave (even from above-ground) or Cave Complex cannot enter another cave, Cave Complex or tunnel during that same phase."

JR

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Thanks, that's clear.
What about a DM Japanese unit already in the cave at the beginning of the RPh? I guess they could low crawl into the Cave-Complex?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks, that's clear.
What about a DM Japanese unit already in the cave at the beginning of the RPh? I guess they could low crawl into the Cave-Complex?
Low crawl or rout normally; it wouldn't make a difference. Once in the complex it can't leave, even to rout to another cave/complex [G11.77].

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As a broad principle, a unit in a cave-related location can move one cave-related "space" per phase regardless of cost (assuming it has enough MF), with the exception that if a unit enters a cave (from an accessible cave [G11.6], a complex or from above ground), it can then exit the cave and move above ground (to the limit of MF available of course). For me this simplifies my thinking about movement in cave-ish spaces: move one "space", done.

JR

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I was a little bit confused because the rules explicitly state that I can take a cave as Rout destination, but never mentions Cave-Complex in that context.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I was a little bit confused because the rules explicitly state that I can take a cave as Rout destination, but never mentions Cave-Complex in that context.
The place doesn't need to be spelled out as special for rout to allow routing there. Woods and buildings are preferred routing destinations in most cases, that is if a unit can reach one of them (and can't ignore the woods/building) it must attempt to do so. But if there is no way to reach a woods/building hex or if those woods/buildings hexes that are reachable can be ignored, the unit may choose any type of terrain as its rout target. A Cave Complex is a member of the set of any type of terrain. Further a unit in a cave can ignore woods/building hexes even if it can reach one, and a unit that can reach a cave can also ignore woods/buildings. A unit in a cave can designate its cave complex as rout target often (perhaps always) because units in caves can ignore woods/buildings.

JR

Last edited: