Rout destinations and Minefield

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I don't believe one reconfigures the rout target "on-the-fly" unless one has to. If T10 is chosen as the initial rout target, it is still legal target once the unit gets to S10.

Q&A:
A10.51
A broken unit starts to rout toward the nearest building/woods hex, but during its rout
the building/woods hex is not farther from a Known enemy unit than its present hex. Can the
broken unit now choose to ignore the building/woods? Or must it continue to rout toward that target?
A. It must continue (assuming it is otherwise able to). [An97]
So it can't continue through it since it is not PREVENTED to going there.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So it can't continue through it since it is not PREVENTED to going there.
It could if it chose T9 as the initial rout target, since then when it gets to S10 it has to re-calculate a new rout target. At that moment T10 is the same distance from T4 as S10, so then T10 can be ignored, and you could rout through it....

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It can't legally select T10 initially.
I don't think that is right.

A10.51 in part: Assuming it can abide by the previous requirements, a routing unit must move to the nearest (in MF calculated at the start of its RtPh) building or woods hex (even if overstacked)

The nearest in MF calculates the previous requirements AFAICT. The rout to T9 is 4 MF because the broken unit cannot legally enter S9. That makes T9 and T10 both 4MF away.

Chris Bryer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a side note, Walt posted this about our current game of Where Iron Crosses Grow. It seemed like a pretty straightforward question but after seeing what it became, I realize there are very few simple questions with this game. It is likely a big reason why we love it so.

On a side note, the scenario is really fun so far!

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed. Fun scenario. Chris is kicking my butt.

Thanks to everyone for the enlightening discussion.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
It could if it chose T9 as the initial rout target, since then when it gets to S10 it has to re-calculate a new rout target. At that moment T10 is the same distance from T4 as S10, so then T10 can be ignored, and you could rout through it....
It can't be ignored.
As its calculated from the initial hex.
i.e. you don't calculate on the fly. I've asked this from Perry about 2 mos ago.... From your starting rout hex not where you have to alter.

I can try to find the Q&A

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I don't think that is right.

A10.51 in part: Assuming it can abide by the previous requirements, a routing unit must move to the nearest (in MF calculated at the start of its RtPh) building or woods hex (even if overstacked)

The nearest in MF calculates the previous requirements AFAICT. The rout to T9 is 4 MF because the broken unit cannot legally enter S9. That makes T9 and T10 both 4MF away.
P8 is 3 MF....
It HAS to ignore that first if not ignored must rout there.

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It can't be ignored.
As its calculated from the initial hex.
i.e. you don't calculate on the fly. I've asked this from Perry about 2 mos ago.... From your starting rout hex not where you have to alter.

I can try to find the Q&A
Wow. This is another subtle point. If you must re-calculate mid-rout, but from the initial hex, the new calculation might require routing to a hex that is in a very different direction from the initial rout path.

I see a sentence in A10.51:
If a newly-Known enemy unit prevents this, a new destination is re-figured from that point.

I would think this means you re-calculate from the point along the rout path where you encounter the newly-Known unit, not the initial point of the rout.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Seem to me like the the ignore part should apply when you have to re-calculate the rout target - same as the "closest in MF" part also applies when a re-calculation is needed.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I would think this means you re-calculate from the point along the rout path where you encounter the newly-Known unit, not the initial point of the rout.
I believe that's what you-do/the-intention-is. Maybe there's an example in the long comprehensive rout example?

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
P8 is 3 MF....
It HAS to ignore that first if not ignored must rout there.
We agree. The broken unit ignores P8 because of the known minefield. Are T9 and T10 both 4 MF away or is T9 3 MF away through an illegal rout path. I think they are both 4 MF away. I am not sure what you think about question #2 in the rout decision tree.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
It can't be ignored.
If it can't be ignore, how are you going someplace else, e.g. T9/T10? And the answer to that is because ... you can ignore P8 as you have noted in post 5. Once P8 is ignored, you can chose between T9/T10 as each are at 4MF's.

Now, we can argue semantics about when P8 is ignored, when the MF's to the Closest Rout destination is and the timing of choosing a valid rout destination, but no mater what flow chart you need to go through to feel like it's the "correct" way, as long as we all arrive at the conclusion T9/T10 are valid rout destinations, that's all that matters. Personally, I am with Klas on this. Picking a destination is all part and parcel over determining which destinations I can choose and ignore. While I see the point you're trying to make, to me it's arguing a difference without distinction. JMO, YMMV. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
We agree. The broken unit ignores P8 because of the known minefield. Are T9 and T10 both 4 MF away or is T9 3 MF away through an illegal rout path. I think they are both 4 MF away. I am not sure what you think about question #2 in the rout decision tree.
You are correct. -- jim

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Seem to me like the the ignore part should apply when you have to re-calculate the rout target - same as the "closest in MF" part also applies when a re-calculation is needed.
That's what I thought, as it seems intuitive...The question was stated.
Where do you determine the "Starting location of routing, at the initial hex or the hex you recalculate"
I'm pretty sure it was from the Initial hex...still looking...for the actual post..

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Where do you determine the "Starting location of routing, at the initial hex or the hex you recalculate"
I am not certain what you are asking here. I think it obvious the "initial hex" is the Location the unit started the RtPh in. Recalculation based on some factors not known to the Routing unit at the beginning of its RtPh may change it's destination and force a re-calculation of MF's to determine a new destination, but the unit doesn't "start over" in that new Location in which it re-figures a new destination. ASOP wise, it has progressed from "Start of RtPh" to "During RtPh". -- jim