Rout destination and wire (A10.531)

pybarrondo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
(By way of explanation, I had submitted this to get confirmation that the old Romanowski Q&A still applied, since there's no indication in the actual rulebook that this is the case and the rule there can reasonably be read as saying that wire is ignored for identifying the nearest woods/building hex for rout destination determination — Wire is a Fortification, after all, and one enters and exits it as those terms are generally understood outside the rulebook, and even the rulebook refers to a Wire Exit dr. Here is the answer. IMO this really should get official errata treatment at some point, since it needs to be reflected in the rulebook itself):

Q. Rule A10.531 says, in part, "The cost to enter/exit Fortifications within a hex are not part of the total MF cost used when calculating the nearest building/woods hex." No exception is made for Wire, which is a Fortification. Is the MF cost of Wire then ignored when calculating the nearest building/woods hex for purposes of determining a rout destination?

If yes, should this old guidance in the Scott Romanowski files be disregarded? A10.51 & B26 For purposes (only) of determining the shortest route in MF, assume wire will cost 1MF. [Letter53]

A. No (you do not enter/exit that fortification).

No.

....Perry
MMP

Last edited:

FrankH.

Reaction score
There is still some vagueness here. Or the clarity or implications might be improved. And at least one oddity, involving Pillboxes.

As the cost of entering/exiting a Fortification is not counted when determining the "nearest" (in MF, of course) building/woods hex, the only costs used are those costs of entry of each hex. The variable and unknown cost for going under the Wire counter, for example, does not count; ignored.

However Wire may be placed in many terrain types. For example, a Brush, Debris, Woods, or Gully hex still calculates for rout its movement cost as 2 MF to enter, even if the hex contains Wire. This cost would increase to 3 MF if there is any form of Smoke in the hex. Uphill into a Woods hex containing Wire costs 4 MF, and this would increase in Smoke to 5 MF.

Apparently a Pillbox, being equivalent to building for rout purposes (B30.5), does not technically need to be entered, just the Pillbox hex. A10.51 states the routing unit merely "move to the nearest building/woods hex" - just replace building/woods with pillbox.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
This Perry sez folder is not the place to debate about rules questions.
It is better to join the thread in the Rules & errata folder.

FrankH.

Reaction score
I will give some time for someone to move my comment. If not, I'll start another thread there as you said.