Rout Destination and Possible Interdiction (A10.51 and A10.53)

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
When calculating the rout destination and path, can potential interdiction hexes be taken into account ? For instance, if I have 2 possible rout targets equal in every respect except that interdiction could occur along 1 path but not the other, could I choose the safer path ? Suppose a shorter path could be interdicted, but not a longer one (assuming they both met all the other requirements). Could I choose the longer path to avoid interdiction ? I cannot find it stated clearly in the rules but some discussions in this forum have suggested such was allowed.

Ed

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You must choose the closest (in MF) rout destination using the shortest possible path, but once chosen, you may take a longer path as long as you get there in that phase (or low crawl). If 2 legal rout destinations are the same distance (again, in MF), you may choose either one. A10.51 line 15 is the reference for taking a longer path.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You may choose any path as long as you reach the target, and you need not reach the target if you use low crawl, entrenchments, pillboxes or shellholes. You must move closer if you use low crawl. You must use the shortest path in MF otherwise if using entrenchments, pillboxes, or foxholes. Your choice if there are multiple paths that meet all the criteria.

JR

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think an additional complication comes with factoring in ignorable rout destinations. The actual closest possible destination is often ignorable, and you have options you would not, otherwise.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does all low crawl have to be towards the closest possible rout destination assuming you have one?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Does all low crawl have to be towards the closest possible rout destination assuming you have one?
You always have a rout destination. Sometimes that rout destination is not a woods/building, and sometimes it is not the closest woods/building, but there is always one. Once the rout destination is determined, the unit may low crawl, possibly not reaching that destination in the RtPh. It must always end the RtPh closer to that destination.

JR

Last edited: