Rout Confusion again

cathmor01

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Bryan
Country
llUnited States
Returning to the game after a year-and-a-half hiatus and 900-mile move, I re-read ASLSK2 rulebook, started to play and confused myself during my very first rout phase.

A moving squad was fired on in a woods hex, failed morale check and placed under DM. There are adjacent woods hexes further away from KEU. My question is, Must the squad rout?

Rules section 3.6 Rout Phase states, "Broken Units under DM must rout away...during that RtPh or be eliminated for failure to rout."

However in the Rout Phase Summary on the next page, one of the bullet-points states, "Must rout from its starting hex if a hypothetical unit routing through that hex would be subject to Interdiction."

Since the unit broke in a woods hex (non-interdiction terrain), but is not adjacent to an enemy unit can it remain in the hex?

Thanks for the clarification.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Returning to the game after a year-and-a-half hiatus and 900-mile move, I re-read ASLSK2 rulebook, started to play and confused myself during my very first rout phase.

A moving squad was fired on in a woods hex, failed morale check and placed under DM. There are adjacent woods hexes further away from KEU. My question is, Must the squad rout?

Rules section 3.6 Rout Phase states, "Broken Units under DM must rout away...during that RtPh or be eliminated for failure to rout."

However in the Rout Phase Summary on the next page, one of the bullet-points states, "Must rout from its starting hex if a hypothetical unit routing through that hex would be subject to Interdiction."

Since the unit broke in a woods hex (non-interdiction terrain), but is not adjacent to an enemy unit can it remain in the hex?
It need not rout as long as there is no enemy unit adjacent. The sentence you are quoting has been joined to the previous sentence in later versions of the rulebook. This is the rewritten section from ASLSK#4: "Such a unit is placed under a DM counter and if not in Melee must rout away (ATTACKER first—one unit at a time) during that RtPh or be eliminated for failure to rout." The first sentence of ASLSK#2 (2005) 3.6 correctly lists all the units that must rout.

JR

cathmor01

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Bryan
Country
llUnited States
It need not rout as long as there is no enemy unit adjacent. The sentence you are quoting has been joined to the previous sentence in later versions of the rulebook. This is the rewritten section from ASLSK#4: "Such a unit is placed under a DM counter and if not in Melee must rout away (ATTACKER first—one unit at a time) during that RtPh or be eliminated for failure to rout." The first sentence of ASLSK#2 (2005) 3.6 correctly lists all the units that must rout.

JR
Thanks for the quick reply. Once again, overthinking things.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks for the quick reply. Once again, overthinking things.
The ASLSK#2(2005) 3.6 rule is awkwardly phrased and seems to contradict itself there. The rule needed the rewrite, and I think it is much clearer now. If you think you may go on in ASLSK you might consider getting the latest version (currently ASLSK#4) so that you can check if a rule has been revised.

JR

cathmor01

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Bryan
Country
llUnited States
The ASLSK#2(2005) 3.6 rule is awkwardly phrased and seems to contradict itself there. The rule needed the rewrite, and I think it is much clearer now. If you think you may go on in ASLSK you might consider getting the latest version (currently ASLSK#4) so that you can check if a rule has been revised.

JR
Thanks. I've got ASLSK#4, but it's still in shrink. Will be solving that problem tonight!