Rout Clarification and a question

MoonWa

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi All,
This is what I understand routing to be in a nutshell. I also have a question. Is my interpretation of the rout rules correct.

Thanks in Advace
MoonWa

ASSUMPTIONS:

1. A broken unit in open ground and at normal range in LOS of a known good ordered enemy unit must attempt rout.
2. A broken unit not in melee adjacent to a known good ordered enemy unit must attempt rout.
3. In either case, the unit is placed under DM
4. In open ground a unit may use low crawl to avoid interdiction. In this case the unit moves only one hex and may still be in normal range of a good ordered enemy unit.
5. While routing, if you move closer to any enemy unit at normal range and who has LOS, you are eliminated.
6. If there is a hindrance between the interdictor and the open ground hex, then the routing unit need not roll for interdiction.

QUESTION:

“A broken unit may rout only if under DMâ€, but see 1,2 and 3 above. Is there a case where I can have a broken unit not under DM under conditions 1 or 2?

acolic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi,

If I understand you correctly this can happen. During the game one of your squads is fired upon and breaks. It is placed under a DM counter. It routs. The next turn it is still broken but looses DM. During the enemies movement phase he can move a squad adjacent to this broken squad. At that point your broken squad automatically gets placed under a DM counter.

During the subsequent rout phase the squad which has just been placed under the DM counter must rout.

Did I understand the question correctly?

Alex

MoonWa

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I probably was not clear with my question. This is what I'm trying to ask. Within the guide lines of 1 and 2, is there ever a case where I can have a broken unit that is not under DM. It is just that there is a confusing sentence that states that only broken units under DM can rout.

Are my assumptions about rout correct though?

Thanks
MoonWa

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
It is certainly possible for a broken unit to be in Open Ground, and loose DM (in a RPh). If an enemy unit has/gets LOS to it (within normal range), the broken unit (that is not DM), must rout. However, as you have noticed, it gets a DM-marker too.

acolic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I believe that your assumptions are correct.

With case one a unit could have broken, routed, removed DM and still be in LOS of an enemy. It would not need to rout any further provided that it was not in open ground.

With case two as soon as an enemy unit had moved adjacent to the broken unit it would go DM. It then must rout.

Hope these answers are clearer.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With regard to point 5, note that you can move closer to an enemy unit if it is not "known" to your broken unit.

IOW, if your broken unit does not have LOS to an unconcealed enemy unit, then he can (and often must) rout toward that unit until he can see them.

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Welcome to the forum!
MoonWa said:
I probably was not clear with my question. This is what I'm trying to ask. Within the guide lines of 1 and 2, is there ever a case where I can have a broken unit that is not under DM.
As A 10.62 regulates how DM counters are lost there will be regulary quite some broken units without DM counters.

MoonWa said:
It is just that there is a confusing sentence that states that only broken units under DM can rout.
So is the rule. Only brokies under DM can rout. Brokies without DM are not allowed to rout. But of course they are easier to rally.

Here is a link to a good routig article "Routing 101":
http://www.tigertank.com/aslcrossroads/tactical/