Round 4 Allied Discussion Thread

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
**********THIS IS FOR THE ALLIED PLAYERS IN ROUND 4 OF THE SEEING THE ELEPHANT TOURNAMENT!!!!*******************

This scenario will test your skill and patience to the limits!!!

You have T-34's this time and lots of them!!! But the Germans have TIGERS!!!

Everything you've heard about Tigers is true except one thing...they are not invincible and they won't win a scenario by themselves!

You notice that you have mines, infantry and tanks. The German is short on Tigers, as he should almost always be! He has other tanks and infantry though and plans on taking this village from you.

You can put your mines to cover approaches you think he will come in or as a denial weapon to make him come in places you want him in.

The T-34's can hide along the river and keep out of sight of the Tigers for a good amount of this battle. The Tigers can be made to move in towards the village. If the Germans have to rely on the Tigers to take this village then you should have won.

Did I mention that you have KV tanks as well? The KV-2 which is the biggest gunned tank in the scenario is a Tiger Killer! BUT ONLY IF YOU HIT ONE!!! The KV-2 is slow to turn the turret and slow to fire! And not very accurate to hit! He will scare the German player witless when he first shows up though! You may want to keep him hidden to fire on the German infantry as they try to take the village from you.

It is always fun to play with tanks but infantry will win 95% of your scenarios for you! This battle should be no different! If you can kill or stop his infantry you should win this battle! Yes, I know he has TIGERS!!

This scenario should show you that you can win scenarios even if the German player has TIGERS!!!

You want to kill Tigers? Then you have to get on the flanks or rear and get point blank shots. You will rarely ever be able to do this with a single T-34. And here, where there are more than one Tiger, you will have a hard time doing it at all. They will protect each other.

The way to kill a Tiger with T-34/76's is at EXTREMELY CLOSE RANGE from the sides and rear! The Tiger's turret moves slowly so you can get in close with more than one T-34 and fire at point blank range! Three T-34's firing at point blank range SHOULD kill the Tiger before he kills them all...It SHOULD!!! Sometimes it WON'T!!! Tigers are tough to kill with T-34/76's!!

Your best weapon against a Tiger is an infantry attack! Watch your infantry weapons!!! An infantry unit with Molotov Cocktails will use them first!!! They are next to worthless against a tank of any kind. A Molotov Cocktail can be deadly however to open topped AFV's!!

Any unit with only grenades showing will use them as AT grenades!!! Those are the real tank killers!

Questions? Comments?

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

MR

Kineas

Colonel General
Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Hi,

the scenario is fine, I already deployed the forces. My only concern is that the map is rather flat. The axis have some small hills from where they have LOS to riverbank. At least I couldn't find a position which doesn't have LOS to any of the hills. Hopefully he can only spot moving panzers.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

the scenario is fine, I already deployed the forces. My only concern is that the map is rather flat. The axis have some small hills from where they have LOS to riverbank. At least I couldn't find a position which doesn't have LOS to any of the hills. Hopefully he can only spot moving panzers.
Are you plan on doing a forward defense? Do you plan on moving to meet the German tanks or waiting for them to come to you?

I have played this scenario exclusively as the Soviets and I have killed Tigers when I moved T-34's along the river bank. You may have to move them down very low and tight to the water but you can move them unseen...and that doesn't even count the KV-2 and reinforcements that you get later!

Good Hunting.

MR