Round 1: Best scenario from Steve Swann?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Are there other un-credited golden oldies from Steve Swann that we should know about?

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Surprised there has been no mention of Recon By Fire 3 (the whole thing!). I consider this to be Steve's magnum opus, although I'm not 100% sure he designed ALL of them. Some a little more balanced than others, but great fun across the board.

EDIT: I see now that he designed 15 of the 20. One of the most solid products out there, IMO.

Last edited:

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FYI, this list posted earlier was missing more than half of Steve's scenarios'... This list (on the first post) should include everything - at least everything in the Scenario Archive...

criticalhit

Reaction score
I want to thank all of you for your kind words. They remind me on many good memories of ASL and with all of the good designers and players in the ASL world.
Steve, I just finished listening to 2 half squads interview of you. I would say that it's the best interview of an ASL designer with INTEGRITY since John Hill's iconic interview way back in 2010. i loved your comment about how you design your scenarios so that players can have fun instead of designing them for balance, i like that. Loved you're very straightforward description of Armored Trains. It was explained with logic and i was able to visualize this rule for armored trains. You are a true American Hero. Chris Kyle, move over.!!!! BTW I am not affiliated in any way or form with the company critical hit. I've had this screen name for a long time. I've bee on this forum since 2010. Had I known how infamous that company would become, believe me i would have chosen a different user name lol. all the best and Semper Fi. I got as far as Officer Candiate School Quantico Va. 1982. Got injured twice and never recycled for a third stint.

Last edited:

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
It may never see a lot of play but LN 13 Saito's Farewell Order from the first Leatherneck Pack is a daunting monster of a scenario and a must play.
Four boards, dense jungle, night, tanks, OBA and about 150 squads total.

I think I posted an AAR on it back in December 2019.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LN 13 Saito's Farewell Order - I too have played this, an amazing scenario. Suicidal banzai charge, Americans desperately trying to adjust their OBA to meet the night attack.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I too loved 90 Minute War, though his recent Blow that Bridge is a fun one as well and will be in upcoming Dispatch #53.

Steve is AWESOME, glad he is spreading the wealth throughout various publications, his stuff is challenging and a ton of ASL FUN!

Great job Steve, Vic.

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve, I just finished listening to 2 half squads interview of you. I would say that it's the best interview of an ASL designer with INTEGRITY since John Hill's iconic interview way back in 2010. i loved your comment about how you design your scenarios so that players can have fun instead of designing them for balance, i like that. Loved you're very straightforward description of Armored Trains. It was explained with logic and i was able to visualize this rule for armored trains. You are a true American Hero. Chris Kyle, move over.!!!! BTW I am not affiliated in any way or form with the company critical hit. I've had this screen name for a long time. I've bee on this forum since 2010. Had I known how infamous that company would become, believe me i would have chosen a different user name lol. all the best and Semper Fi. I got as far as Officer Candiate School Quantico Va. 1982. Got injured twice and never recycled for a third stint.
It was a great interview. Looking forward to the new stuff he talked about.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Regardless of your scenario preferences, Steve is someone who has immensely contributed to the ASL community. He has also not been afraid to stray from normal convention and try new things, which has certainly positively impacted other designers to think outside the box.