Round 1: Best scenario from Steve Swann?

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It the epic beginning of this new Best of series, we look at the famed Steve Swann, scenario designer extraordinaire... Most recently having released the very popular new Deluxe Pack from LFT... Other favorites include... (fill this in!!)

We'll see if this garners some interest and hopefully we can work through the gamut of excellent ASL designers...

Updated to include 'full' list.. Missed about 33 scenarios!

Last edited:

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Tempest at Tombe" from the original Leatherneck pack. Tense little SOB of a scenario. Republished in Blood and Jungle also. My favorite from Mr. Swann.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The original Leatherneck Pack in general. Unfortunately, I don't think all of the scenarios in that pack were playtested out enough. No telling where that blame fell, likely not on Steve. That said, all were fun and as Cousin Darrell mentioned. Tempest at Tombe was quite good. The concept on all the scenarios were excellent.
It the epic beginning of this new Best of series, we look at the famed Steve Swann, scenario designer extraordinaire... Most recently having released the very popular new Deluxe Pack from LFT... Other favorites include... (fill this in!!)

We'll see if this garners some interest and hopefully we can work through the gamut of excellent ASL designers...

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was just looking at the ROAR stats on ToT. The original favors the Sons of Nippon 21-13 while the republication (Blood and Jungle maybe) wings the other way 8-2. I wonder if there were significant tweeks made to the scenario.

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My first Steve Swann scenario was from No Fear No Hope .. "The Hatert Bridge."
Enjoyed immensely even though I lost.

P Mason:nuts:

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The definitive Steve Swann scenario for me is CH35 Obong-Ni.

Takes the game to Korea, and has the US Marines (mostly) with RCL's defending against the NK hordes using Russian equipment.

Innovative--- especially for its time, and fun to play either side to boot.

He has some other great scenarios, but this is the one that I think of when I hear Steve Swann.

JT

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
His original Platoon Leader 1.0--great small CG's that generate a ton of fun scenarios.

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is a pdf list of all the Steve Swann scenarios listed in the ASL Scenario Archive

Updated list to include about 33 missing previously....

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SS-CG Mini-1 " Hart Attack"

I've played it three times, it is on my proverbial " to play again list".

KRL, Jon H

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Here is a pdf list of all the Steve Swann scenarios listed in the ASL Scenario Archive
Too bad the list is missing a lot. I rarely remember the designer of a scenario that I played, although I remember designer's names in general.