rougue boards 9-11

stitch

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a newbie, why are the boards 9-11 referred to as "rogue boards".

Thanks
Stitch

Harold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
?

Someone who know the Squad Leader history can give the full poop. I do know there were rogue scenarios that went with the boards. The boards themselves were awful looking. And that's an understatement. Fortunately the graphics were updated to what you seen now.

ASLgrognard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rogue Scenarios

Squal Leader era - this was a pack of 10 scenarios (210 series I think)
that may have featured the rogue boards. I have them buried somewhere in my gaming closet (so can't tell you if they used the boards in question).

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
stitch said:
As a newbie, why are the boards 9-11 referred to as "rogue boards".

Thanks
Stitch
I'm not exactly sure what module they came with. I got them and all I ever got was the official SL, COI, COD, and GI modules.

The boards that I got looked as if they had been painted using a not very sharp crayon. I'm not sure just who did the artwork, but they were not up to the level of the boards before or since. These were not subtle quality differences as a half-visually-challenged person (too close to The People's Republic of Boulder...) could see them from across a fair size room.

The versions that are available now from MMP have been re-done and are up to the quality level of the other boards now.

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't believe they came with any module. They were boards that were made in the interim between SL and ASL if I remember correctly. I know my buddy Jim got them directly from Avalon Hill because we were getting tired of playing SL on the first 8 boards and wanted a change. However when we got them they were so poor we only used them once or twice. Almost made us miss out on ASL since the boards were such a disappointment. Glad we came to our senses. :)

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Good God, those scenarios bring back memories!
I have those scenarios and some of them were quite awesome briefly here they are:

R211 Auld Lang Syne - 1945, small Ardennes meeting infantry only meeting engagement
R212 On the Road to Andalsnes-1940, Germans battling out with the Norwegians over Trondheim
R213 Traverse Right...1941, Fire- Russian front Barbarossa small tank on tank meeting engagement - simular to Puma Prowls
R214 Front in Flames- meeting of patrols Kharkov 1943
R215 Hasty Pudding- France 1940, 7th Panzer meets British 1st Tank Bde
R216 A Small Town in Germany- Germany 1945, Canadian Armoured against a mixed defence
R217 The Whirlwind- Germany 1945, American infantry meets up with a nasty surprise
R218 Operation Switchback- 1944 Canadians take on the the Scheld Estuary - Big scenario
R219 Scheldt Fortress South- 1944 More Scheld Estuary - really big scenario
R220 Clearing the Breskins Pocket- 1944 More Scheld Estuary - really big scenario - had a tough time fitting all the maps on a pool table
R221 Vitality I - Ditto, though a smaller scenario
R222 Infatuate II - Ditto, also a smaller scenario
R223 Night Drop, 1944 82nd Airborne drop in Normandy

Note that some of these scenarios have been given an update treatment in ASL but some especially the Scheldt Campaign are definitely worth updating, perhaps as a historical release? In any case I highly recommend if only for the Scheld campaign! :p

Cheers

sdkfz

Reaction score
First name
Rowland
Country
llUnited States
hmmm... slow typing....

They tried a new artist and actually issued the boards, the art work was very sub par - I have them as well as the scenario pack, taken from the back of Scenario R213 - "The Rougue Series 200 scenarios are so named because they use substandard Squad Leader boards 9,10 and 11 which are not an integral part of any Squad Leader gamette... The series 200 portion of the titles indicates that these scenarios have been playtested for balance using all rules up to and including those published in Crescendo of Doom."

The scenarios were
R211 Auld Lang Syne
R212 On The Road To Andalsnes
R213 Traverse Right...Fire
R214 The Front In Flames
R215 Hasty Pudding
R216 A Small Town In Germany
R217 The Whirlwind
R218 Operation Switchback
R219 Scheldt Fortress South
R220 Clearing The Breskins Pocket
R221 Vitality 1
R222 Infatuate II
R223 Night Drop

As you can see several of these have been reissued in ASL format as have all of the boards.

The ad in the General for the baords called for a 2.00 each price and states "The boards will not come with any directions pertaining to the new terrain types nor will any questions pertaining to them be answered. They are offered strictly on a "as they are" basis for those individuals who... don't mind making up their own rules as they go along" ! Not a ringing endorsement.

On a side not I found scenario 1000 Operation Marston -the primsole bridge dual parachute drop game. Has this been upgraded to ASL?

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the Breskins pocket campaign game has been done by somebody for ASL. I remember downloading it off of a website about a year ago. It was a monster mapboard and a monster game.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
R219 Scheldt Fortress South

Speaking of R219 Scheldt Fortress South is this scenario available anywhere? If memory serves me right it was a very interesting, varied historical scenario.

Keith

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, you are correct, the Breskins Pocket is indeed a enormous setup requiring double sets of some of the maps. I have seen the same reissue of this rogue scenario and have it somewhere. But I am certain that the Rogue scenario is the original as I recall ordering these from the Hill about 15 years back :)

By the way, the Hill also issued scenario packs 100 through to 300 which I also have, though I am not sure if most of these have been reissued into ASL format though

Cheers!

John

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm not clear whether these are technically available or not, though the scenario packs are indeed out of print. It is not clear whether MMP will want to reissue these in new packages. Given that MMP does post some of the out of print scenarios, I am uncertain where they stand with these products. :)

I have seen these packs occasionally come up on eBay now and again.

John

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Does anyone remember the two packs that World Wide Wargamers put out back in 1982 for SL?

Here is an inventory:

Squad Leader Scenarios 81 - 90

81 A Bridge too Near - 1940 Norway
82 To Lose a Battle - France 1940
83 The Final Attempt - France 1940
84 Le Paradis - France 1940
85 The Far Bank - Russia 1941
86 Raid on Vaagso - Norway 1941
87 The Bruneval Raid - Channel Coast 1942
88 The Backwater of War - Russia 1942
89 Cherkasskoye - Russia 1943
90 The Bridge at Kanev - Russia 1943

GI Anvil of Victory Scenarios 91 - 100

91 Assault at Waldelincourt - Belgium 1940
92 Patton's End Run - Sicily 1943
93 Cassino Station - Italy 1944
94 Hill 112 - France 1944
95 The Attempt to Exploit - France 1944
96 Scratch Force - France 1944
97 The Breaking Wave - Belgium 1944
98 Night Assault - Germany 1945
99 Cooperative Venture - Germany 1945
100 A Day at the Races - Germany 1945

What I am curious about is has anyone ever tried these and or if these have been converted to ASL?

I suppose these scenario packs were put out before Avalon Hill produced the series 100 to 300 packs more on the next post

cheers

John

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
as promised, here is the scenario listing for the series 100 to 300, note that these gems are some of the better products that the Hill put out to support SL 20 years back. I suppose some of these have indeed made their way in ASL form in some of the journals over the past years. Perhaps later on MMP might consider updating these for re-release?

101 Blocking action at Lipki - Russia 1941
102 Slamming of the Door - Russia 1941
103 Bald Hill - Russia 1941
104 The Penetration of Rostov - Russia 1941
105 Night Battle at Noromaryevka - Russia 1943
106 Beachhead at Ozereyka Bay - Russia 1943
107 Disaster on the Dnieper Loop - Russia 1943
108 Block Busting in Bokruisk - Russia 1944
109 Counterattack on the Vistula - Poland 1944 (Tiger IIs and JS IIs!)
110 The Agony of Doom - Germany 1945

201 Sacrifice of Polish Armor - Poland 1939
202 Under Cover of Darkness - Poland 1939
203 Bitter Defense at Otta - Norway 1940
204 Chance D'une Affaire - France 1940
205 Last Defense Line - France 1940
206 Fighting at World's Edge - Norway 1940 (Anglo Franco effort against the Jerries.
207 The French Perimeter - France 1940
208 Road to Kozani Pass - Greece 1941
209 The Akroiri Peninsula Defense - Crete 1941
210 Commando Raid at Dieppe - France 1942 (the only successful portion of the raid!)

300 Trial By Combat - Germany 1945 (first engage between a Tiger and the Pershing!)
301 The Clearing - Germany 1944
302 Standfast - Germany 1944
303 Thrust and Parry - Germany 1945
304 Riposte - Germany 1945
305 The Duel - Germany 1945
306 The Rag Tag Circus - Germany 1945
307 Point D'Appui - Germany 1944
308 Han-Sur-Neid - France 1944
309 The Roer Bridgehead - Germany 1945

In addition, the Hill also put out a mini pack called the Tournament Pack. These included:

TS1 First Crisis at Army Group North - Russia 1941
TS2 Pavlov's House - Russia 1942
TS3 Land Leviathans - Russia 1941
TS4 Soldiers of Destruction - Poland 1944

As you will note the Hill was prolific in creating scenario packs, but I suspect that most of these scenarios were never updated into the ASL format. Surprising considering that some effort in terms of playtesting must have went into these scenarios. :p

regards

John

dreenstra

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RoutePack6 said:
As you will note the Hill was prolific in creating scenario packs, but I suspect that most of these scenarios were never updated into the ASL format. Surprising considering that some effort in terms of playtesting must have went into these scenarios. :p

regards

John
Actually, I recognize quite a few of these titles as ASL scenarios. Off the top of my head, I believe that all the "TS" scenarios have been converted and quite a few off the "300" scenarios made it into the GI Pack. Also, many of the "100" scenarios were in the earlier Annuals, I believe.

Dave Reenstra

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
dreenstra said:
Actually, I recognize quite a few of these titles as ASL scenarios. Off the top of my head, I believe that all the "TS" scenarios have been converted and quite a few off the "300" scenarios made it into the GI Pack. Also, many of the "100" scenarios were in the earlier Annuals, I believe.
In View From the Trenches, there've been lists of all the old SL scenarios and the status on updating them. The one I have is here, but this issue is almost 5 years old now, and predates the GI's Dozen scenario pack (it's on page 28 ). Don't know if he had a more up-to-date list since then.

Pete

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks Pete, I was able to update all of the SL scenarios with the help of that link and by going over everything else since. It does appear that most of the scenarios have been converted over with the GI Dozen. There are a few outstanding gems that I have not been converted, SOWCHOWS 79 in particular.

It anyone knows who will hosted this updated sheet, please advise and I will be happy to forward the xls sheet

regards

John