Rookie Tournament - how is everybody doing ?

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
so, how's everybody doing ? Are you having fun, are you winning or losing, what were your best/worst moves so far ?

I don't want a detalied AAR because most of us are probably still playing and giving too much away from the scenario might give players intel they shouldn't have (enemy force size / position / quality etc) but it's always nice to hear something from other games, after all this is supposed to be a tourney and not many seperated ladder games that happen to occur on the same map by chance :)

In my game not that much happened until now but last turn I saw many enemy inf. markers appear all over the map and a soviet SP gun was seen moving into position so things are sure to heat up pretty soon :)

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Almost halfway through my game, however; I'm finding that
City "maps / battles" suck; the Tac A.I. is horrible, needs patched in a big way.

Seeing & shooting through multipile heavy buildings, please! It's like standing in an open field, why bother?

Actually, why aren't we playing in the wilderness? :(

That's my pennies worth.

Kerry :cheeky:

Sivodsi

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fightout in the Factories

We're having a great tussle so far. It would be fair to say that I have a superior position, being in command of both centre factories, but Vendetta has had the better of the tank wars. It could be expected I guess, because he has the Germans.

Yeah, it is a bit surprising, being able to see into and out of a factory so easily. Does anybody know the justification? It seems the folks at BFC have an answer to everything; it's probably been brought up before...

That said I am happy to work within the limitations of the game.

Big thanks to those who set this up - I'm really enjoying it!

Sivodsi

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Factory LOS explanation

This looks like the answer:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=003054#000000
posted November 07, 2002 02:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
those pre- "air conditioning revolution" factories were known for their great glass walls designed to let as much light and air onto the shop floor as possible. I believe BFC has modeled factory walls with much less restrictive LOS for that reason.

And when did the flourescent tube office light get invented?

MikeyD
Member # 5596

Earl

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No joy trying to contact my opponent, Donnergrollen. If someone is in contact with him, please let him know I'm looking for him.
v/r, Earl.

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Originally posted by Kerry
Seeing & shooting through multipile heavy buildings, please! It's like standing in an open field, why bother?
Hmm, I've just checked but I can't see through the factories, latest patch 1.2 installed, maybe they changed that ??

Nekander

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm having fun but my opponent is having even more fun! I have made way too many mistakes :)

Thanks to everyone involved organizing this tournament! I have played mostly against AI so far, but I really enjoy playing against human opponent.

-Nekander

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Kraut
Hmm, I've just checked but I can't see through the factories, latest patch 1.2 installed, maybe they changed that ??
The players can't see through the buildings but the TAC A.I. certainly can and continues to shoot my guys behind buildings.

Kerry

arkai88

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My game seems to be pretty even so far, but I think the next 3-4 turns will decide it, as we've gotten in pretty close to each other.

Macnab

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
me and tuefhuden are still trying to start ,he had big prob`s with patch v1.01 now there`s another for him to struggle with , so i dont know if we will make it at all now

Verse

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am having a better time than expected. I was disappointed when I first saw it was factory/street fighting but it has turned out to be a good battle.

By the way, Nekander is putting a tougher fight than he lets on - he has those T-34's still looming out there.:devious:

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

The players can't see through the buildings but the TAC A.I. certainly can and continues to shoot my guys behind buildings.

Kerry
Hmm, havn't seen that. I saw a tank that had LOS to a moving soviet Inf and as the inf. was advancing the LOS was drawn through a building but my tank wasn't shooting and soon lost this target-line. I guess the Tank commander was simply predicting were the inf. was moving and keept his turret pointing towards the probable position but I never saw that my inf. or tanks or guns actually shot through a building.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't seen any Tank fire through buildings but lots of small arms & MG fire.

I can see into a building but not through a building and certainly not through 2 heavy ones.

It's hard to tell if this happens in rural settings as you can at least shoot through trees.

Kerry

Gary Owen

Reaction score
It don't get closer than this

NiG and I played our battle yesterday TCP/IP, it went a little over six hours by my reckoning. Result? Draw -- 50%/50%. I was relieved though when NiG pointed out that he had me on points, 2244/2218. I did not want to fight him over those factories a second time. Good game NiG, & good luck in the second round.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also just played ICP/IP today against "Fox", I think we got in 10 turns.

It's almost as fun as home LAN- but you just can't recreate hearing the other guy laughing in the other room when he see's something "neat" happening before you do!
Still a draw in our game as well.

Kerry :cheeky:

PS. & only one incidence of shooting through buildings!

NiG

Reaction score
In a lovely 3 bedroom terrace just a stone's throw
Country
ll
Yeah - Gary Owen and I had a great tussle - he won on the tanks but a sneak attack by me (which nearly ended in disaster) managed to pull out those couple of extra VPs.

I though the same as Gary Owen when I saw it was 50/50, I though I had to fight it all over again.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Glad I had my Math head on
:cheeky:

I got to bed at 2.30am and work in the morning too!
Great game Gary - we should arrange a re-match some time.

:banana:

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
PS. & only one incidence of shooting through buildings!
Seems to be a real bug, I found this little picture showing an AntitankRifle killing a Halftrack through several buildings :)

Never happened to me but I hope they'll fix it ;)