Rooftops B23.82 ?

heggieb

Reaction score
First name
Burnie
Country
llUnited States
We are playing The Last Bid scenario, I am Ruskies and set up first. I have 36 ? to use.
Do you have to use one of those to set up concealed on a rooftop.
My interpretation of the rule in 23.82 is that I can set up with any unit concealed, whether on 1 1/2 or a 2 1/2 level, and not have to use any of my designated ?
And for that matter, any attacker or defender in any scenario can do so at setup, and of course risk losing concealment at game start. My opponent thinks not. Hope you can resolve this and thanks in advance.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Since both sides set up on-board, in the absence of an SSR and per standard rules both sides must setup either under an OB-given "?" counter in concealment terrain or unconcealed [A12.12] [EXC: both sides have three HIP squads by SSR]. There is no free concealment in standard rules except for caves & pillboxes (of which the Soviets have two). Neither the RB SSRs nor the scenario SSRs grant additional free concealment either, at least as far as I see. CG15 grants free concealment, but it is not in play. By B23.82, rooftops are concealment terrain during setup but that doesn't grant free concealment counters. OB-given concealment counters can be placed on rooftops.

JR