Rooftop LOS question

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Me and Paul are playing Hueishan Docks and Rooftops are in play. Can a unit on a rooftop in a building with ground and first level see over single story houses or woods and shoot units on ground level?

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
"Rooftops are treated the same as another building floor level at the next higher half-level elevation........."

So that half level allows you to see over single storey houses (One level obstacles) but not two storey houses that are 1.5 level obstacles with their pesky roof pitches in the way.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I say you can't see over 1st level obstacles from a 1st level rooftop. Paul thinks you can. I can't find the rule. Been reading the f***ing rulebook for an hour now and I can't find it.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The Level of the rooftop on a building with a Ground and Level 1 is at Level 1.5 and can thusly see over Level 1 obstacles.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I say you can't see over 1st level obstacles from a 1st level rooftop. Paul thinks you can. I can't find the rule. Been reading the f***ing rulebook for an hour now and I can't find it.
A building with only a ground level has a rooftop at ½ level above its highest level (level zero), i.e. at level ½. This would be a problem (of sorts), but per SSR 1 only multi-hex buildings have rooftops. A multi-hex building without a stairwell has level zero and level one locations, which puts the rooftop (and units on it) at level one-and-one-half. A multi-hex building with stairwells has level zero, one and two locations, which means the rooftop in them is at level two-and-one-half. You should have no 1st level rooftops, i.e. rooftops at level one.

Per A6.4 a unit that is any amount higher than a full-level obstacle can see past that obstacle to a lower level but with a certain number of blind hexes. A unit at level one-and-one-half (on a rooftop of a multi-hex building without a stairwell) can see past a level one obstacle (a single-story house, a woods, etc) to ground level with one blind hex when the obstacle is at range 1-4.

JR

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a building with two hexes. It has a ground level , a 1st level and a rooftop. Can a unit on a rooftop there see over a 1 level woods?

The rooftop is at level 1 1/2. Can it see over a level one obstacle to ground level?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Omg, there is a building with two hexs. It has a ground, 1st level and a rooftop. Can a unit on a rooftop there see over a 1 level woods?
A unit on the rooftop is at level one-and-one-half. It is higher than any level one obstacle and may see over such an obstacle to a lower-level location as long as that lower-level location is not in a blind hex.

JR

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Learnt that when playing RB twenty years ago, very useful in that specific context.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Learnt that when playing RB twenty years ago, very useful in that specific context.
I played RB twenty years ago and thought the opposite. We thought you needed a full level to see over.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Needing a full level would really put a spike in slopes.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I just checked my car. The oil still needs changing. Is "everything" in this context metaphorical?

JR
No.

If there weren't a LOS from the Rooftop in the described situation, the oil of your car would already have been changed by now.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep, it can see over.

Another ASL oddity occurs with 2 1/2 level rooftops.
A unit in the second floor of a building has the same number of blind hexes as a unit on the roof of the same building when looking over a single story building.

Fixing a roof tile on my friend's roof last week made this laughable.

Rich

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Blind half hexes would be complicated to apply.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
A building with only a ground level has a rooftop at ½ level above its highest level (level zero), i.e. at level ½. This would be a problem (of sorts), but per SSR 1 only multi-hex buildings have rooftops. A multi-hex building without a stairwell has level zero and level one locations, which puts the rooftop (and units on it) at level one-and-one-half. A multi-hex building with stairwells has level zero, one and two locations, which means the rooftop in them is at level two-and-one-half. You should have no 1st level rooftops, i.e. rooftops at level one.

Per A6.4 a unit that is any amount higher than a full-level obstacle can see past that obstacle to a lower level but with a certain number of blind hexes. A unit at level one-and-one-half (on a rooftop of a multi-hex building without a stairwell) can see past a level one obstacle (a single-story house, a woods, etc) to ground level with one blind hex when the obstacle is at range 1-4.

JR
That might be correct for a Two Storey House (B23.22), which is a 1.5 level obstacle, but not a Single Storey House (B23.21) which is a 1 level obstacle.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That might be correct for a Two Storey House (B23.22), which is a 1.5 level obstacle, but not a Single Storey House (B23.21) which is a 1 level obstacle.
I'm not sure what you think is incorrect. Per the SSR only multi-hex buildings have rooftops. Per the rules, multi-hex buildings are never single-storey houses [B23.21]. No single-storey building has a rooftop in this scenario by SSR. Also per B23.8, no single-storey house has a rooftop in general. You cannot be on a rooftop on a single-storey house. The lowest you can be on a rooftop is in a two-storey house, and that puts you at level 1.5. Which part do you think is wrong?

JR

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep, it can see over.

Another ASL oddity occurs with 2 1/2 level rooftops.
A unit in the second floor of a building has the same number of blind hexes as a unit on the roof of the same building when looking over a single story building.

Fixing a roof tile on my friend's roof last week made this laughable.

Rich
Would it have the same number of blind hexes as a unit at rooftop 1 1/2?

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, the half level is ignored for the calculation (A6.21 & A6.4).
Compared to your example, wouldn't a unit on the 1 1/2 level rooftop have one more blind hex than the unit on the 2 1/2 level rooftop?